2006 f450 Lot's of DTC's

Rate this topic

OK. Customer complaint was vehicle would not start but after a while finally did but would not go.Got in truck today and it started right up ran fine.So i ran self test and heres what i got.

P0299-turbo underboost

P2290-icp too low

P2291-icp too low engine cranking

P0261-cylinder 1 injector circuit low

P0264-cylinder 2 injector circuit low

P0267-cylinder 3 injector circuit low

P0269-cylinder 3 contribution balance

P0270-cylinder 4 injector circuit low

P0273-cylinder 5 injector circuit low

P0276-cylinder 6 injector circuit low

P0279-cylinder 7 injector circuit low

P0282-cylinder 8 injector circuit low

The 2 ICP DTC's P2290 and P2291 had a TSB listed.TSB 08-18-6 So i went through the TSB .Started with checking ICP for biased and it was not.Then looking at the three graphs they have and comparing with my readings and everything seemed ok.Even when i got this thing hot it would still fire right up.I then brought the ICP pid up and tried wiggling around the connector still nothing.Cleared DTC's and they never came back. Why would it throw these 2 phantom ICP codes??

Next when i saw all these DTC's for low injector circuits i was thinking this could possibly be the begining of a FICM failure.Cleared codes and started wiggling the three connectors to the FICM around to try and duplicate concern but nothing.

When i saw the P0269 cylinder 3 contribution/balance i brought up power balance turned fuel correction off and found cylinders 3 and 6 to be down.Now prior to this id say about a 1000 miles ago this truck came in for running rough and lacks power .I ran power balance and found injectors 1,5 and 8 to be dropping off considerably when i turned fuel correction off so i replaced them.And a 1000 miles before that 2 and 4 were dropping off as well so i replaced them.Also Before all that of course i did relative compresion and that was green across the board.Just to make sure there was no base engine concern.Could the FICM maybe be the problem the whole time just not giving me any indications until now???Did i replace all of those injectors for nothing?

The turbo underboost DTC i found i think i found the problem for.I smoked checked the exhaust and found a leak in the right side up-pipe or feed pipe to turbo.

Also ran air system test for egr valve just for the hell of it and it failed in the part where the egrdc pid increases and decreases and shows the pid ramping up and down.

Finally while looking at the ICP pid on this thing at idle it looked weird.It looked like a noisy signal,like the wave was very short and spikey.I scracthed myhead and looked at some other pids ,take for instance the MAF and it looked kinda the same.Just spikey and close together.Is this normal for these engines?I took a picture with my camera phone (kinda krappy) but i dont know how to upload photos into post yet.Well any help always appreciated.

P0261-cylinder 1 injector circuit low

P0264-cylinder 2 injector circuit low

P0267-cylinder 3 injector circuit low

P0269-cylinder 3 contribution balance

P0270-cylinder 4 injector circuit low

P0273-cylinder 5 injector circuit low

P0276-cylinder 6 injector circuit low

P0279-cylinder 7 injector circuit low

P0282-cylinder 8 injector circuit low

You COULD have multiple concerns but in looking at all of these injector circuit codes I would look at this first before even considering anything else. Pinpoint tests -P- will likely lead to a new FICM but you do want to do the tests to eliminate circuit/relay/fuse concerns.

Some of the failed FICM's I have come across cause many injector circuit codes and poor performance because of misfiring cylinders. My opinion is that a FICM failure can lead to false ICP and boost related concerns. I think there may also be a topic or two here on this.

did pinpoint test P basically told me to retrieve dtc's, clear dtc's,carry out injector self test, and carry out koer.Are any dtc's retrieved it asks and i had none.then there answer is unable to duplicate concern,check for loose connection or corroded terminals wiggle the harness to try and duplicate concern.repair as necessary

Have you checked the ficmmpwr pid cold, it should be 48 voltsand not drop below 47v, if it does go below 47v then load test all ficm pwr circuit, check your ficm relay. if all ok mostlikely ficm failure, i,m suprise you did not get a p0611 also but not always.Icp codes might have been set because of prolonged cranking and low battery , never understimate what customer could have done to get it started. Good luck.

When i saw the P0269 cylinder 3 contribution/balance i brought up power balance turned fuel correction off and found cylinders 3 and 6 to be down.Now prior to this id say about a 1000 miles ago this truck came in for running rough and lacks power .I ran power balance and found injectors 1,5 and 8 to be dropping off considerably when i turned fuel correction off so i replaced them.And a 1000 miles before that 2 and 4 were dropping off as well so i replaced them.Also Before all that of course i did relative compresion and that was green across the board.Just to make sure there was no base engine concern.

Just curious, have you checked base fuel pressure at idle, and under load? Low fuel pressure will wipe out injectors as well.

no i will check ficm power pid cold.By load testing do you mean like a voltage drop?

Bring up your FICM_L, FICM_M, and FICM_V PIDs when you crank the engine cold. Your FICM_L and FICM_V PIDs should equal battery voltage, while your FICM_M should equal 47 to 48 volts and remain steady as you crank the engine over, NOT decreasing.

Yes, i also use a headlamp bulb to actually put a load on the circuit, i was caught twice, once someone had installed a regular relay instead of a ficm relay (worked for a while), the other time the ficm terminal in pdb were amaged and melted(loose terminal).

FICM_L-13.00V FICM_M 46.00-48.00V FICM_V 13.00V ALL AT IDLE

What do the voltage readings do when you rev the engine up? Do they remain steady or drop?

Here is the pin point test I use...

Step 1: Replace FICM

Step 2: Deal with your fuel pressure problem

Step 3: Replace any other marginally functioning parts

Step 4: Verify repair - If concern still exists, return to step 3