Branch tube on and 06 F-350

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anyone has any "ideas" on an easier way to remove the rocker arms on 6,7,and 8 when doing the branch tube on an 06 F-350 ? Seems no matter how careful I am , I always end up fishing for the ball bearings while trying to remove the arm ! When I re-install them I use grease to hold the ball in the rocker while attempting to slide it onto the push rod but always seem to end up loosing it multiple time before I can get it to seat properly. I know I have the special tool installed properly and the valve bridges seem fully compressed. I know the eng has to be rotated 1 more revloution for #6. It seems like the push rods in cylinders 7 & 8 are still seated too far in the rocker arm to remove as described in the wsm? Is there a way to possibly rotate the eng slightly before of after tdc to get a precious few millimeters for #7 and #8 ? Seems each time I have to do a branch tube , I loose so much time removing and re-installing the rockers that I tell myself I am just going to pull the engine next time ! Dont know if I am doing something wrong or if it is simply a repair that is going to take numerous times to master. Any tips would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you .

Thank you for the input gentlemen ! I abandoned the wsm procedure for the rocker arm removal.I ended up turning the engine over til push rods were at their lowest point then removed them. I will definately pull the engine or cab next time for sure ! Thank you again.

Many of us have abandoned Fords belief that the branch tube must be replaced if it's bent Posted Image

You didn't say if you had a cracked/broken tube or only bent?

Ford Say's if it's bent it has to be replaced, but International says to bend it back and test it.

I have "persuaded" Posted Imagemany tubes back into shape and only had to actually replace one branch tube, I always reinstall the IPR and air test before reassembly.

If you search the 6.0L forum you'll find quite a few discussions on the branch tube.

Many of us have abandoned Fords belief that the branch tube must be replaced if it's bent Posted Image

You didn't say if you had a cracked/broken tube or only bent?

Ford Say's if it's bent it has to be replaced, but International says to bend it back and test it.

I have "persuaded" Posted Imagemany tubes back into shape and only had to actually replace one branch tube, I always reinstall the IPR and air test before reassembly.

If you search the 6.0L forum you'll find quite a few discussions on the branch tube.

I agree with this 110%. The 650-750's have a steel rear cover so you can pry back the branch tube using a pry bar and the rear cover. Worked like a charm. We got a CP 650 towed into our shop that got a 40 hour branch tube replacement quote from another dealer. I can't remembr what we charged to bend back the tube and put the revised fitting in.

I'm with you. bend it back and re-test. I had a thread on this earlier this year where the branch tube broke the rear cover. After reading the responses here, I advised the tech working on it to just bend it back. It worked fine and has had no problems since. Posted Image