1995 International Rollback 7.3L No Power

Rate this topic

ablokzyl

Im working on a 1995 International rollback with a 7.3 liter with a lack of power. The truck model is a 4700 4x2. I pulled codes using the "engine check" button on the dash and got several three digit codes. 111, 113, 541, 221, 325 and 622 I have no access to International manuals and have no way of knowing what these codes mean. If anyone could help that would be great.........Thanks

111-No Errors detected/flash code only

113-Electrical System B+ Out of Range Low

541-IDM Feedback not detected by ECM

221-Speed Control Command Switch or circuit fault

325-Power Reduced, Matched to Cooling system Performance(low coolant level or overtemp likely)

622-Engine using field default rating

For the 622 code my book also says a probable cause of VPM not programming ECM, and to inspect other codes. I would start looking at the cooling system for low coolant, restricted airflow through the radiator, etc causing an overtemp, or even just a bad coolant level switch or temp switch. Without a scan tool you won't be able to see what the computer sees, but later I may be able to get you ohm readings for the sensors if you find nothing else wrong.

Buddy

ALL 7.3 rollbacks have no power, but that's another issue, I suppose. Yours is worse due to either the high temp derate (325) or possibly a battery cable chafe at the frame pass through (possibly your 113 if not self inflicted). If the engine's not overheating (fan clutches fail often on these and radiators clog), check the positive cable where it leaves the battery box and pases right through a hole in the frame rail, the ECM/IDM power wire tends to chafe there. Also check the weatherpack connector at the starter.

If you need more info email me.

IH has their DTC's listed on their body builder website, yours would be here:

https://evalue.internationaldelivers.com/service/bodybuilder/general/default.aspx?pageid=3

(Beware! The listing is screwy. If you're looking up a T444E or DT466E 3 box, you select "Diagnostics". If you're working on a '98-up DLC/Navpack single module system, you select W/CEC. 3 box systems were built roughly 94-97 but there are plenty of exceptions. You really need to know how to identify them by sight. Keith: You should probably link this site on your Tech Resources column.)

The 622 will definitely cause a lack of power as it means the ECM is not using the HP rating assigned to it (in the VCM) but rather the default of 175HP. You've got several issues, it's tough to tell you where to start. Check the harness like Damon said and check the VCM plugs for green death in the left kick panel (not easy) as they tend to corrode a lot.

Flash Codes : 113

ATA CODE: PID 168 FMI 36

Condition Description: Internal voltage power out of range LOW

Code 113 can be caused by consistently less than 6.5 volts being applied to ECM pins 21, 22 and 41. This can be caused by a defective alternator or ECM power relay, discharged batteries, and/or increased resistance in the battery feed circuits. Code 113 does not turn the Engine Warning Light ON. If the condition causing Code 113 to set is an intermittent condition, when the condition is no longer present, the code status will change from active to inactive.

Flash Codes : 541

ATA CODE: SID 155 FMI 11

Condition Description: IDM feedback toggle not detected by ECM

Flash code 541 is set by the ECM. The ECM monitors the CI, FDCS and EF signals for voltage levels. If the ECM detects that the CI or FDCS is open or if the EF signal is not sending a 100 Hz. signal, this code will be set. This code will cause the Engine Warning light to be illuminated.

Possible causes are a short or open on the EF circuit if this code is the only code present. If accompanied by other IDM circuit faults the IDM may not be powered or operational. If displayed during an Engine Off Standard Test will be accompanied by code 543. This code may be set due to other faults in the ECM due to a reset condition. If other codes are present repair them first in the order of importance for engine operation by itself.

Flash Codes : 221

ATA CODE: SID 244 FMI 2

Condition Description: SCCS Switch or Circuit Fault

Causes: Open, short (HIGH or LOW), or bias high or low in SCCS circuits or components.

The ECM monitors the R-APS signal input at ECM terminal 30 from the remote pedal sensor for out-of-range signals, high or low.

Biased High or Low - A wiring or component defect that changes the circuit resistance (corroded switch contacts, poor connections, dirty or corroded terminals etc.) will alter the signal, causing the code to be set.

A short to a 12V or 5V circuit will change the expected signal.

A short to ground changes the expected signal.

Corrective Action: Perform Testing SCCS Circuits.

RPS Diagnostics

The ECM monitors the R-APS signal input at ECM terminal 30 from the remote pedal sensor for out-of-range signals, high or low.

Flash Codes : 325

ATA CODE: PID 110 FMI 14

Condition Description: Power Reduced, Matched to Cooling System Performance

Code 325 will be set if the cooling system temperature exceeds 214° F (101° C). At this temperature the ECM will reduce the fuel delivered to the engine. For each one Celsius degree of temperature the fuel will be reduced 6%. This reduces the heat produced by the engine thereby reducing the burden on the engine cooling system. It will also slow the vehicle speed encouraging the operator to downshift, thus increasing the efficiency of the cooling system.

As the temperature is reduced the compensation level is reduced until the temperature drops below 214° F (101° C) at which normal operation is resumed.

Flash Codes : 622

ATA CODE: SID 253 FMI 0

Condition Description: Engine using Field Default Rating

Symptoms: Engine Warning Light ON, customer options disabled (cruise controls etc.) and the engine is limited to 175 HP.

When the vehicle is not operating under normal operating conditions, the ECM uses either partial or full field default values stored in ECM memory, instead of programmed values that are stored in VPM memory. When the ECM is using Full Field Default values, code 622 is set. If the condition causing the ECM to operate using field defaults is intermittent, and the condition is no longer present, code 622 will become inactive and normal engine operation will resume.

Code 622 is an indicator that field defaults are being used. Other codes cause code 622 to be set. The other codes identify the condition that caused the ECM to use field defaults.

If, for any reason, the ECM is unable to down load parameter values from the VPM are not valid, then the ECM selects full or partial Field Default parameter values. The Field Default parameter values are stored in the ECM. If no data is available from the VPM, full field defaults are used. If only certain data is corrupt, then partial field defaults may be used.

If code 622 is active:

Review other logged codes. The specific values that the ECM is unable to download and/or reason for the communication failure must be determined and corrected. When corrected, the ECM will not use the field default mode of operation.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Thanks a lot guys, I am gonna try to work on it today if I can. This is our shops rollback and keeps getting pushed to the rear of the schedule. I will definatly try your ideas. I was looking for the ECT sensor yesterday to ck that but all I can find is the EOT sensor. Where is the ECT sensor located? Thanks guys

Your truck should have two coolant sensors, one for the gauge and one ECT. I'd be a lot less concerned about the ECT than everything else at this point. Your ECT should be on the right front side of the motor near the water pump. Clear the codes, test drive it, and see what pops back up. Pay particular attention to active codes, of course.

From my book:

Enter Diagnostic Mode- This is done by holding in the “Engine Diagnostics” button, (right side of steering column) turning on key, and releasing “Engine Diagnostics” button. Do not start the engine. The red “OWL” or Oil-Water Light will flash once, signaling the beginning of active codes. The yellow “Warn Engine” light will flash the proper active codes. 1-1-1 means no active codes are found.

Active codes are “Broken Now” codes. Inactive codes are history codes, which means the ECM saw something happen a while ago. The red Oil/Water light will flash twice, signaling the end of active codes, and the beginning of inactive, or history codes. The yellow “Warn Engine” light will then flash the inactive, or history codes. The red “Oil/Water” light will flash three times to signal the end of codes.

Since 111 is "no codes found", a happy truck is R-YYY-RR-YYY-RRR.

The process can be repeated by turning the key off and starting over.

To clear all codes, depress the accelerator pedal three times while in Diagnostic Mode. Recheck for DTC's because it doesn't always clear the codes like it should.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

The most common cause for a 622 code on the old 3 box system is no power to pin 1 of the ecm. This is constant B+. If I remeber correctly, it also feeds the VPM its power source also. Causes could be a melted fuse holder in the battery box, broken wire between the battery box fuse and the ecm/vpm. There is also a 4 wire connector (usually two white wires and two red or purple wires. These are notorious for problems. The 622 will derate the power to 175, and makes it run like a dog. Usually with this code, you can not communicate with the lap top to the engine ecm. Your coolant emp fault was probably set numerous times back in the summer months. The same sender that tells the ecm what temp the engine is, tells the dash cluster gauge what temp the engine is. I would ignore this fault for now (unless the engine is overheating) and troubleshoot the 622.

Well they let me work on it a little bit today.......I checked for power at pin 1 at the ecu.....it has 12v all the time. Cked for chafed wires at the battery. I dont see any problems with anything in the cooling system either. I cleared the codes and test drove it again. CHecked codes again and there were no active or history codes. I pulled the intake boot off the turbo to check for a dusted turbo. It looks a little bit iffy in my book but another guy in the shop doesnt think its anything to worry about......the guy who normaly drives it says that it started to misfire after he got fuel today. It also smokes like a bastard on startup but it starts great. It has over 165,000 miles on it.........Im wondering if the injectors arent going bad or if the engine isnt just plain tired.........