2005 f250 crewcab 6.0

Rate this topic

i dont know if tis is the right section to be putting this in but i think the concern has a lot to do with the mods it has. i have a 2005 f250 6.0 diesel with the banks 6gun tuner, cat delete, bigger intercooler, bigger intercooler pipes, banks high ram intake, banks ram air intake system, 5 inch exhaust cat back, and a 12 inch lift. It was brought in for coolant bubbling and of course the egr cooler was blown out but it also had this hoot noise when u would boost it up and let off or if you are towing it would maintain the hoot noise. Has anyone else ran into this?

The hoot noise could be an exhaust leak at one of the joints, either at the turbo y-pipe or the downpipe. When the engine is making boost, the exhaust pressure can leak out at these small joint leaks, which can give you a hooting noise similar to the type of sound a whistle makes. I would wonder if the head gaskets aren't blown out as well with all that aftermarket equipment. TSB 08-11-03 has a proceedure for finding the cause of the coolant expulsion.

Also i have had several hoot type or whystling noise from degas cap when excessive cooling system pressure.Install an inline pressure gauge in cooling system and monitor pressure when noise occurs.Hope this help but Bruno is also correct, this is just another thing to check.

Also i have had several hoot type or whystling noise from degas cap when excessive cooling system pressure.

+1 on this one Posted Image

We have a wrecker that we see from time to time that's doing this..

Hmmm. Coolant overflow? Hooting noise during and just after hard acceleration? Heavily modified? Two words.

Head gaskets

The hooting is likely the coolant cap venting. I suggest following the diagnostics in TSB 08-11-3 for coolant overflow.

Hmmm. Coolant overflow? Hooting noise during and just after hard acceleration? Heavily modified? Two words.

Head gaskets

The hooting is likely the coolant cap venting. I suggest following the diagnostics in TSB 08-11-3 for coolant overflow.

+1 on that here as well. That rad cap is just screamin for mercy. Some of them even squeal like they've been rode way too hard and can't take it anymore. Posted Image

well guess what.. i swapped a coolant cap from another truck that is unmodified and whoa the hoot noise went away...test drove and not being easy and the coolant started cooming out of the cap and started making oot noise again....HEADGASKETS!!!! thanks again guys

I would check with an outfit called BTS (others probably offer the same service - but it is one setup I have seen). The heads can be sent out and machined for "fire rings". We did one in our shop several years ago... spendy.... why... all the good questions. But, if your customer has deep pockets and you have the patience - why not?

FWIW... in the different streaks for different freaks department... We have about $17K CAD invested in a 500 inch RB Dodge

The only drawback to head studs and machining anything is that you and the customer will own it if something goes wrong. Considering the modifications this guy has I doubt this is an issue but you will want to cover your ass and be 100% forthcoming with the facts.

Yea, be careful what you put on the truck. Head stud's generally i'd rec. on ALL 6.0's having the head gasket issue. When we were wicked slow, we did head gasket jobs for guy's who got kicked outta other dealer's because they had an exhaust or intake....asshole dealers...but work for us. They got the head stud's and head gaskets. The last truck I did before I left the guy wanted me to add. Headstuds, egr valve delete, egr cooler delete, bigger turbo from Elite diesel, bigger fuel system, and ported injectors.

I was all done and so excited to drive it...but the new turbo from elite diesel had bearings that were blown. I never heard a turbo make the noises it did. A shame because the guy called me 2 weeks ago saying the truck was finally done. I did the job in october.

He also had train horns that scared the shit outta me.

yea i have the cab off now and removed both heads...found #4 and #6 cyl "lifting under boost" and u can see where the gasket is burning so to speak...the customer already had the head studs for it and i am installing them as we speak....checked both heads for warpage along with the deck and everything is ok there...so we will see...should be ok though.....also the customer took the egr cooler exhaust pipe from me and delete the port where it feeds the cooler...ill be interested to see how much of a difference it makes....he is a good customer of ours so i have no prob with this job whatsoever....im a diesel nut anyway!!!!!!!hahaha