Hmmmm Oil in Coolant

Rate this topic

A 2003 F350 rolls in today and the customer tells me he's got oil in the coolant bottle so I figure a 6.0 with a blown cooler but walk out to look see and it's a 7.3 so I figure either I have a failed gasket or a cooler but figured I'd see if anyone has had this and what was the cause.

We've seen many times where it was the cooler, and several times where replacing the cooler did not fix it due to corrosion in the end casting where the o-rings ride. Once we made the decision to change both castings and the cooler bundle when this complaint occurred, we never again had a comeback. If you don't change the end castings, inspect them VERY closely after bead blasting. You will likely find roughness from cooling system neglect (no, really?) that will compromise the o-ring's ability to seal from the bundle to the end casting.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Edit- change "one" to "once".

Be real careful if you replace the caps the new ones are shit.

I just replaced a cooler and the front cap because of an external oil leak. GUESS WHAT I HAD NEXT WEEK????????

Thats right oil in the coolant. My parts guy ordered 4 front caps and I had to use the best of the worst.the photo can't show how rough the casting realy is right where the oring sits.(edit) BTW that cap is brand new it was only on the truck for 4 days

Posted Image

Dave that picture isn't too bad. I can see the rough area pretty good. What's even better is that this cap was installed and the o-rings left marks that you can see... see the intersecting area of rough casting and o-ring.

Posted Image

• 2 years later...

I have one right now. It's an 2003 school bus with the 7.3 and lots of oil in the degas. We don't have that pressure tester for the oil cooler but I kind of put pressure to it and I did not find a leak. Other then the rough casting in the headers, there isn't anywhere else that could cause oil to get into the cooling system ? or is there ?

They frequently don't show leakage when testing even when they are bad due to the fact they can leak very slowly. We did a lot of these and resolved ourselves to changing the bundle and both end castings to avoid comebacks (which we had a lot of until we changed all parts). The area in the casting where the o-rings ride is always pitted from coolant neglect, allowing the seals to seep.

Good Luck!

Posted Image