EGR cooler hose replacement

Rate this topic

Found one leaking today, just curious if anyone has done these without pulling the whole intake? Looks like pulling the intake is the only option though.

Just checking,

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

I think we beat this one up before but to answer your question, no, you don't have to remove much at all to change this crossover hose. Remove the right CAC tube assembly, then remove the adapter on the oil cooler that the hose attaches to. It helps to cut the hose or slide it back to remove that cover.

kinda a pain in the ass but possible.

i remember back in 03-04 when they all would leak. made some cash as the manual said remove the intake and we found out we could snake it out without doing all that crap...ah the good ol days!

I love having this job booked in as a "waiter", after the guy has driven to China and back, leaving the engine piping hot for me to burn myself on.

I love having this job booked in as a "waiter", after the guy has driven to China and back, leaving the engine piping hot for me to burn myself on.

Posted Image

If it isn't a recall then they are going to wait. That's the first thing I tell the advisor when its something that can't be done without burning myself.

the best was having to change a turbo on a 6.0 after the customer drive 40miles to get here in 115degree weather. oh and he was a waiter at 3pm and needed it by 5pm

needless to say I got it done

Balls.... Cojones..... Testicles..... Bollocks..... It isn't any good to have them if you aren't about to use them.

Your front end people think the world is about to end because they have a paper cut.... You macho fuckers are going to -lace yourselves in danger of injury of one sort or another....

If you are not prepared to perform a task and suffer in silence - do not perform that task... state why in clear terms... be manly and firm. If you are going to whimper about anything real or imagined that you have been inflicted with - do not perform the task.

There is no shame in stating that "the motor needs to cool down before I can do <that>". The shame comes from doing it against your better judgement and then whining about it later... to people that will not change the way things are done. "Yeah, I know how you feel... I did it too....".

What the fuck has happened to common sense????

I agree with all of the above statements. However, if it is a warm day and the motor is hot, and you need to work on it quickly, there is a shortcut- a tall pedestal fan pointed at the top of the engine for 30 minutes makes all external parts cool to the touch. Try it sometime- it's surprising how well it works.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

bruce hit the nail on the head. I did that for about 20mins on my turbo, yanked it out real quick and swapped the CHRA and slapped it back together. got a case of beer out of it and a very satisifed customer(cp as well) too which made the hassle worth while.

a tall pedestal fan pointed at the top of the engine for 30 minutes makes all external parts cool to the touch. Try it sometime- it's surprising how well it works.

I will vouch for that statement. I have me a nice pedestal fan right next to my workbench and I have used it to cool many engines over the years.

I also have a large oscillating wall fan too. Turn both fans on and I stay comfortable in the hot summer days. With BOTH of my gas fired radiant heaters AND those fans on I can also turn my two bay separate area of the shop into a large convection oven. Posted ImagePosted Image