06 Ford Escape;good stuff?

Rate this topic

STROKER_T

My girl is going to look at an 06 Escape tommorrow at a neighbor dealer,wants to trade out of her 08 hyun santa fe...the escape she wants has 69,000 miles,just wondering what problems,if any

,i can look look forward to or need to be aware of...thanks Posted Image

Mine just bought one. Loves it.

Only real repeat issues with escapes I see is ABS tone rings, and those shitty continental tires.

The odd control arm bushing, though.

Mine has one as well. Dont see any really major problems with these either, decent on fuel, and if its awd goes anywhere in the snow. Only thing i notice with ours is the cruise control sucks, over accelerates up hill and kicks it down to second gear, 4500rpm, then lets of right away.

the cruise control sucks, over accelerates up hill and kicks it down to second gear, 4500rpm, then lets of right away.

Ever had cruse on at 90-100 in a 6.4 PSD truck, slowed to 60, then rocked the 'RESUME' button?

Hope you don't have anything on the dash, or a window down with a loose hat on, or that fucker's going out the window.

Why upset about the tires, Uncle Keith? Posted Image

Originally Posted By: cbriggs
the cruise control sucks, over accelerates up hill and kicks it down to second gear, 4500rpm, then lets of right away.

Ever had cruse on at 90-100 in a 6.4 PSD truck, slowed to 60, then rocked the 'RESUME' button?

Hope you don't have anything on the dash, or a window down with a loose hat on, or that fucker's going out the window.

That's pretty common on many vehicles. I've noticed it on rental cars I've had, and my own SUV, too. They'll kick down a couple of gears and hold nearly 5000rpm with almost WOT. I wish there was a customer programmable parameter for max TPS/AP while in cruise. It's a bitch pulling a trailer, too, because when you get to a small grade it wants passing gear. I usually run without cruise when I'm towing. Let the torque do the work, and not the HP.

Originally Posted By: flmmaz
Escapes exhibit the strangest tire wear of any vehicle I have ever seen.

Is it the car, or the shit tires? I seem to see a lot of this across all makes and models- going to a "slightly less than top shelf" tire for the mfr's to save money. Didn't it used to be the OEM tires were the best money could buy? Wear perfect and get 60K plus tread life? Now we're lucky to get 30-40K from a set.....

Posted Image

It's odd that you're seeing such odd wear on the Contis.

We've got a customer that has a 2004, it came with Contis, but not sure of the model. That set lasted 94k, they wore perfectly even and she replaced them at 4/32" when we said they were getting low. They are rotate at every other oil change. She's got GY RT-S on it now, we'll see how they compare.

Her Escape has been very, very good to her. It's needed very little. Tires 94k, all brakes at 110k (first set) and one set of rear shocks.

I have Continentals on my 2007 Freestyle and they wore evenly alright. Worn evenly on all four tires right down to 4/32nds in 16,000 miles. Fucking garbage!

This is the exact reason why I will never quote Contis on any vehicle needing them in my bay, be that Tauruses, Escapes or any other vehicle that came with them. Michelins or Hankooks are my favourites. They seem to be holding out much better, especially the Hankooks on 250 and higher series trucks.

I bought a set of Hankooks for my focus, rated at 100k miles. They

lasted about 30k and were down to 4/32. Bought a set of Goodyear triple treads and have been thrilled so far.

+1 on that. I like the escape's, i would rec. them to anyone. I always rec. Ford products to everyone because their styling of their new cars/SUVS are awesome. The new fusion hybrid is killer. The new escape's dashboard is pretty busy, but i still like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvWwJrvUki0

CHeck out that link to show the true power of a AWD escape!!!

It's a bitch pulling a trailer, too, because when you get to a small grade it wants passing gear. I usually run without cruise when I'm towing. Let the torque do the work, and not the HP.

Actually, when I was towing back to Ontario, I ran cruise almost the whole way back, and it wasn't actually that terrible when it went up hills. (I had the momentum of 75-80 mph all the time though Posted Image ) The boost gauge would climb to about 38-40psi, and if it started to fall off, then the truck would kick down one gear, but I only ever saw it do that once or twice.

Actually, when I was towing back to Ontario, I ran cruise almost the whole way back, and it wasn't actually that terrible when it went up hills. (I had the momentum of 75-80 mph all the time though Posted Image ) The boost gauge would climb to about 38-40psi, and if it started to fall off, then the truck would kick down one gear, but I only ever saw it do that once or twice.

That's because it was a diesel running at the upper end of it's RPM range, not a gasser running in the lower end. If it's turning 70%+ of redline there's not much room for downshifting. Gas cars typically run 30-50% of redline on the highway to keep fuel economy up, leaving plenty of room for downshifting. What kind of chassis was it? Do you happen to remember cruising RPM or redline? That was a rental, right? Rentals are usually spec'ced with the smaller engine and steeper diff ratio. If you were cruising at 75-80MPH I'm guessing you were running right near redline and that's why it didn't downshift.

Posted Image

No sir, my own personal 2008 F-350 CC 4x4. 6.4PSD 3.73 screws in the housings.

75-80mph was roughly around 2100-2300RPM if I remember correctly. I avereaged most of the trip at around 70, but the closer that I got to home, the faster I found the truck going, and the more often I found myself checking that "SPEED LIMIT 45MPH" sticker on the fender of the U-Haul trailer Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

job creation for the dealer where ever he lives. I saw one drive by the shop yesterday with a 19 foot 2 axle travel trailer behind. Sure its not a super heavy trailer, but is 5 feet longer than an escape, and probably out weighs it by 1.5.