09 LOW MILEAGE HOT SIDE CAC TUBE BLOWING OFF

Rate this topic

We have had three 09 6.4s in the last week with less than 200 miles on them come through the shop with the hot side cac tube lower connection blown off and the large clamp missing out on the road somewhere. I was surprised by this due to the large barbs on the 6.4 cac tube connections--maybe they are being under-torqued at the factory? Anyone else seen this? It caused at least three pissed off customers in our area after they had just bought a new truck! (Maybe I'll go out on the lot with my torque wrench and a creeper........)

I had an 36k mile 08 today blow the COLD side off....but that's COMPLETELY not what we're talking about here. Carry on with the previously scheduled program already in progress.

I had an 08 with about 2000 miles on it - the hot side cac tube had blown off for the 4th time....first 2 times another dealer put it back on, 3rd the customer put it on and the 4th time I got it and found the cac tube was damaged - probably from the tech at the other dealer(who used to work at my dealership till he got fired end of last year) prying with his prybar on it. had to put a new hot side cac tube.

I have an 08 f-350 I put a motor in last week.I replaced all the cac tubes.Since then hot side bottom tube has blown off 3 times.I have checked for proper part # and torqued the clamp.Am going to call hotline in the morning.What bs!

Any oil or slimy shit on the connections? Maybe we are looking at having to be extra careful and cleaning the shit real good and torquing and retorquing the clamps. Looks like we might have another issue with connections. We have had good luck with applying spray tack on the tubes before assembly.

Im glad you started this topic.... I have a guy that i put 2 on for in the last month... Today my service writer calls me in today and says we have a problem. He says that he was on his way through wisconsin towing a race car and it blew off again in the middle of no where.Now the last one i put on i got 2 new clamps and the new boot, brake cleaned the hell out of everything, and tightened the ever living snot out of the clamps. The owner said the clamps are still there on the tube and the CAC and that it actually blew the middle section of the boot apart!!!!Blew it right in 2 pieces. What the hell are we supposed to tell customers???

Had an 09 with 21,000 on the odo. 5 inch exhaust from dpf back had blown turbo to turbo crossover tube off. Also bent mounting bracket back causing valve cover stud to snap that holds ebp sensor. Customer complains of whistle at 2000rpm. pretty narley.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Overboost....What would cause a overboost situation??? I have seen alot of diesels overspeed and come apart but not to many that overboost. Could a truck going down a grade and being shifted to a lower gear cause a overboost as well as overspeed????