6.4 filled with gas

Rate this topic

so I got this job the other day and started to work on it,gave the insurance company the list and about a month later got a go ahead,so after a spun 4 cab bolts I went to get may parts,they parts guy gave me a box from the junk yard!!!!! 8 injector ( no fuel tubes no seals kits and no caps to cover the openings) and a high pressure pump thats it!! has anyone had to use used parts befor? can it or should it be done? the other thing that worries me is that the hotline always adds things to the list that are not in that svb bulletin like the hfcm, any advice would be helpful

This new fuel system has absolutely no tolerance or forgiveness for any sort of contamination. I don't even know if I would accept the job. I would for sure write a big huge"ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKIN GUARANTEE" on the front and the back of the R.O. Is this thing still under warranty? I would almost have to consider the fact that used parts would void any kind of warranty. Not sure what any of the other fellers around here think. I'll sit back and wait for some more opinions. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

There is no way in hell that I would install used fuel system parts on this engine. Those injectors and the pump could have just been sitting in a box collecting dirt on a shelf for who knows how long. Were there even any caps covering the inlet and outlet ports on them? I would tell them to buy new parts or no deal.

Yea, i agree with everyone here. You need to get your service manager involved and get Hotline to back you up on this. Tell the owner too the dangers of doing the job. You don't want to soil yours/dealerships name for something like this.

If you do wind up doing this shit job with Shit parts, I think I would contact Hotline and report the repair to them, just to cover your dealerships ass.

I can see it now, Truck makes 3000 to 5000 km's if that, breaks down at another dealership, and the customer says to them: Yeah but the repairing dealership said these parts were warranty approved. And you guys wind up in a great big heaping Fucking mess. I say tell the insurance company to Fuck right off!

As a service amanger this job would have gone out the door as is with crappy old parts in.. there is no way in hell My shop's reputation would be hung out to dry because an insurace company wants to be cheap. In the warranty policy manual you are technically supposed to report any retail part that is put in to void any further warranty on those parts. Had a fleet truck come in with approx 10000 km had a but load of water go through the 6.4l fuel system cost 12000 to replace absolutely everything in it and ford told me that this truck basically no longer has engine warranty. This fleet buys hundreds of trucks a year, and let me tell you they are having one hell of a legal battle over this one. so in theory if you replaced an alternator retail for some strange reason basically the charging system warranty is done.

thanks for the input, I did not think that anyone would put used parts into an engine like this,we told them no way we are doing this job with used parts,we have yet to hear back from the insurance compan. Happy B-day Dwayne!!!!! are you going to drink some beer tonight

Hmmm, Used parts..... Posted Image

At our shop used parts are considered the same as customer supplied parts, we will warranty our workmanship but not the parts installed and it is stated very clearly on the work order, of which the customer signs before we touch the vehicle, we have no control over whats brought in the door by the customer whether it be used or new. I/we have no clue where it came from and have no one to go back to if it fails. Most of the time if we do one of these jobs either labor/labour rate or hours goes up to CYA if it comes back.

Dwayne, Hows the BBQ chicken and beer????

• 2 weeks later...

Only way those parts would ever be in that truck from my hands, is in the crap covered box they came in, set on the front seat before I pushed the shitbox outside.

Just my .02

that's where this one sits,the insurance company is being plane dumb about this and the owner of the truck is not happy,I think the insurance company is waiting to put this one on next month's numbers.thats why there are taking so long,oh well I feel for the owner of the truck

I personally don't think there should be insurance on stupidity. LOL

Had one in Windsor, guy filled with gas and drove it till it quit.

I had one of them to, drove till it wouldnt move its own weight, made it about 50 kms on pure gas.

Worst parts was he figured out he put gas in when it started smoking at the gas station, but figured he could save a tow bill.

I just threw out $50, LOL

I had a buddy that used to run a towing service, and if I got all sauced up at the bar, he'd tow my junk home for $20-25 for about 30km's.

I found out that towing HERE isn't real cheap. They were going to charge a customer that deals with us $150 to tow her truck about 5 blocks on a flatbed for a no start.

Went down with an 8mm socket, ratchet and extension and a small prybar, took the EGR valve out, slammed it shut, and stuffed it back in.

HA. Tow THIS, pal!

Anyway...back to our regularly scheduled program already in progress.

Aaron. I think you found your calling...You need to monitor the CB and beat tow trucks to the pickup and get the customer running to drive it it to be fixed. I think thats called "ambulance chasing"!!!! Posted Image

Let's not forget that the time elapsed has to do with the wiener and his insurance carrier.

FWIW, I usually spend too much for my insurance coverage. I rarely purchase coverage based on price but performance equals peace of mind....

Many years ago, during one of my brief peccadillos away from this august trade, I was about 1500 miles away from home and my loving bride had an inch of water on the livingroom floor of our rented apartment. One phone call.... in the middle of the night... "Send her to a decent hotel... does she need any cash?" were the words from my insurance broker.... Translation? "Do not worry...we will sort it out when the time comes".

Scrimp on coverage? Yep... making payments on a truck you can't use could be a 'normal' part of that.... It is interesting to watch the commercials on US TV... the "insurance wars".... The only way I can see to offer a cheaper hamburger is to put less stuff in it - and the only way to offer cheaper insurance is to ........

We'll overlook the stupidity part for now.... Posted Image "Shud ah puts hah test or reg'lar in muh poor stroke?".