Antisieze in combustion chamber

Rate this topic

Clark

Does anyone know if antiseize (for whatever reason) gets into the combustion chamber, will it cause any smoking at all for extended periods of time? Were talking about a relatively small amount, but in each cylinder.

I already feel stupid asking this, so please, dont ask.

I'd think no, but how much antiseize are we talking here?

I'd think if it smoked at all, it'd be for a very limited amount of time...but that shit is supposed to withstand obnoxious heat...

(And can I ask why?)

Does anyone know if antiseize (for whatever reason) gets into the combustion chamber, will it cause any smoking at all for extended periods of time? Were talking about a relatively small amount, but in each cylinder.

I already feel stupid asking this, so please, dont ask.

Let me guess, you just changed one of them fancy dancy 4.6/5.4L 3-valve spark plugs in all eight holes and went a little overboard? Posted Image

Actually Ford now tells you to slather the guts of the turbo in Anti-Sieze. You're supposed to poop up the turbine housing, and both sides of the unison ring, and some other shit, too. Was trying to explain why I needed anti-sieze today.

I've done a few with anti-seize, and never noticed any smoke.

Alright, Im leaning toward this not being an issue, but I am talking about it being in the actual combustion chamber, not in the turbo.

Let me guess, you just changed one of them fancy dancy 4.6/5.4L 3-valve spark plugs in all eight holes and went a little overboard? Posted Image

Ha, no. I dont do any gas work. I just overhauled a '95 DT466 with a Bosch injection pump, and it smokes white and I cant for the life of me figure it out. Started talking to International and they suggested replacing the nozzles. When I pulled one to get the code off of it, I noticed the anti-seize I put on the nozzle got down on the tip. (whether this was how it was running or just from pulling it out, Im not sure) I thought maybe if this was the case on all 6 nozzles, it might be causing a smoking issue.

Possible its a timing issue? either a pump timing or cam timing maybe a tooth off. I put a cam in a 5.9 cummins in a magnum tractor one time and somebody interrupted me while I was assembling the gear train. Needless to say I had a little OOPS and got the timing off. It smoked white as well. Just a thought

Possible its a timing issue? either a pump timing or cam timing maybe a tooth off. I put a cam in a 5.9 cummins in a magnum tractor one time and somebody interrupted me while I was assembling the gear train. Needless to say I had a little OOPS and got the timing off. It smoked white as well. Just a thought

I did not have the gear train apart at all during the overhaul. Pump timing was one of the first things I checked. It was at 12 degrees which is spec, but my foreman recommended changing it to 16 degrees, because in his experience they've always run better at that. It ran slightly better, but no help on the smoke. That is actually why im doing the nozzles. The International guy I was in touch with thought that with the fresh engine and higher compression could be causing the worn out nozzles to open at improper pressures and cause a timing problem at the nozzles. Ive been through everything else, so I went for it. Theyre coming in tomorrow.

This ones been a real headscratcher. Posted Image

Did you pop test the nozzles??

Yes, I took them out earlier and tested them to make sure they were good. #2 dripped and was only spraying out of 2 holes. I disassembled, cleaned it, and reassembled it, and it sprayed good. No change on the smoke. Nozzles came in today, so theyll probably be going in tomorrow.