6.7 Powerstoke initial thoughts

Rate this topic

Ok, I have typed this out twice already both times this blackberry bit me with its damn microkeyboard and erased everything.

I just thought the rumor was funny. The F150 diesel is still in the same place it was last month, on hold indefinitely. There are F150's running around with diesels, some aren't 4.4L's. They aren't 6.7's either. The future of the light diesel depends largely on how the future emission and fuel economy regs pan out. Hopefully that will be more clear by the end of the year.

There is a new slightly more fuel efficient gas motor coming for 2011 for those who can't wait for more MPG's out of their truck.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I have typed this out twice already both times this blackberry bit me with its damn microkeyboard and erased everything.

I just thought the rumor was funny. The F150 diesel is still in the same place it was last month, on hold indefinitely. There are F150's running around with diesels, some aren't 4.4L's. They aren't 6.7's either. The future of the light diesel depends largely on how the future emission and fuel economy regs pan out. Hopefully that will be more clear by the end of the year.

There is a new slightly more fuel efficient gas motor coming for 2011 for those who can't wait for more MPG's out of their truck.

I think there is a lot riding on the Ecoboost... this could be the shape of things to come for several years...

Now... I haven't seen much in the way of comparisons regarding production costs of the "new" diesel fuel versus the "old" diesel fuel... but I imagine removing some shit and adding other shit is going to influence the production process as well as the profit margin....

OOOOOOPS!!! Did I say <profit margin>?

Silly me... why would that enter into ANY decisions?

I just don't get it,

And why would they even think about putting a diesel in a half ton? And if you are looking for fuel economy in a diesel engine and in a half ton, I am sure it would end up being a gutless wonder, and with DPF systems and now the upcoming urea injection I just don't see any practical use for it. That's just my humble opinion.

We've had this discussion before, but I see you are relatively new to the forum. If you had put some mileage on a LD diesel product (either a car or light truck) you'd know why the automakers are considering them. All US automakers sell diesel powered versions of their cars overseas- diesel Focuses, diesel Rangers, diesel Cherokees, diesel Caravans, etc, to meet the overseas diesel demand. Automotive diesel sales comprise somewhere between 35-45% of sales in Europe and Australia, (depending on whose statistic you use) and the percentage is even higher in LD/SUV applications. Automotive diesel sales in the US are only about 1.5%. It's hard to find a gasoline fueled SUV overseas. If you had driven a LD diesel, you'd know the low end torque is addicting and the fuel economy is excellent. Even the new Mercedes ML320 (SUV) BlueTec gets 20% better fuel economy with the diesel than the gas engine, is more pleasant to drive, and stickers for only $47K. The MB E class is rated at 22MPG with a gas engine and 32mpg with a diesel engine. And guess what else? The diesel version is CHEAPER than the gas version, and the 0-60 time is only .1 second different. The BlueTec is their latest SCR/DPF engine technology, and I believe available in almost all of their chassis.

Oh, yea, how about the Jetta TDI, rated at 41mpg vs the gas Jetta at 29mpg, and stickers for $22K? BMW is releasing a twin turbo I6 diesel with similar efficiency numbers, but I don't think it will be that cheap Posted Image.

Gutless wonder? Hardly. The torque of a diesel is infectious. I've driven most of these vehicles and more in Europe, and I can tell you firsthand why diesels are more popular overseas. I rented an Alfa Romeo GT 1.9TDI that might have been the funnest car I've ever driven in my whole life, and it got 40+mpg being THRASHED through the Alps for a week.

I'll tell you who "doesn't get it". It's the American consumer who doesn't get it. The rest of the world "gets it".

Posted Image

Quote:
"I'll tell you who "doesn't get it". It's the American consumer who doesn't get it. The rest of the world "gets it"."

It's the perception that doesn't seem to be able to be changed. Diesels are dirty!!!! Most of that comes from the media.

Dirty and slow Larry. Many people don't realize that modern automotive diesel engines are responsive and higher revving than they used to be. Perhaps it was getting caught behind Volvo turbo diesels on hills back in the 1970's that did to us.

Here is a little slideshow that we released yesterday. It will probably be the only "training" you will see for a while. Excuse the narrators, you can tell they are engineers not public speakers.

http://www.slideshare.net/FordMotorCompany/diesel-forum-presentation

Quite some time back, I used to have an 86' Chev Wrangler 4X4 that couldn't pull itself up a hill with a strong tornado behind it. Man that P.O.S was gutless.

I agree that if you are going to pull something that weighs around 10,000lbs, you should buy a freakin Superduty.

However, I come from an extremely large family of farmers. And I can tell you that farmers like to run everything on diesel. The fuel is allot cheaper. Even right now, I find that diesel is allot cheaper at the pumps. And hows abouts dem der damned riggers? If they can get free rig fuel, they will for sure buy diesels. And then, we will have more contaminated vehicles to repair. See, job security is what it leads to. So I say why not have a diesel F-150? Maintenance would still be an expensive factor though.

I am not saying that there isnt a market for light duty diesels and yes they work very well in todays CARS. I am curious as to what kind of performance u would get and fuel economy from the overall weight of the truck itself. And what kind of pulling power you could actually get out of it. I maybe newer to this forum sure but by no means am I unschooled in this discusion. I dont see many jetta or mercedes benz with hitches bolted underneath them. And i am all for having a diesel in a half ton. More diesels on the road the better it is for us!

This article may clear up some of the reasons why we don't see more diesels in North America. Big Three don't see them as money makers here, as well as they aren't as "sexy" as the Hybrids. WTF

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/02/ford-will-give/

Didn't someone on the forum state a year or so ago that FMC exports F150 diesels to Caribbean and South American countries from the US? I know I've seen them in the Caribbean but was unable to get pictures or see the hood up. A 4.2 diesel V6 or something seems to stick in my mind. Diesels are very popular in the Caribbean, too, but many are imported from SE Asia. Some Caribbean countries use RH drive vehicles and drive on the left due to old ties with Britain. The guys in the Bahamas tell horror stories about getting parts for gray market SE Asian vehicles. A lot of people walk to work there.....

Posted Image

I am not going to elaborate too much on which engine(s) are in the F-150's but they arent anything that has been mentioned.

I will say we had a truck similar to what Bruce was talking about. I think it was a South American F-250 with a 4.2L I-6. That thing was a real POS. It was like driving a new F-250 with a beat up 6.9L under the hood.

Here is a little slideshow that we released yesterday. It will probably be the only "training" you will see for a while. Excuse the narrators, you can tell they are engineers not public speakers.

Thanks.. That was a lot of good information, along with some pretty pictures..

Exactly what is compacted graphite iron?

Originally Posted By: Cetane

Thanks.. That was a lot of good information, along with some pretty pictures..

+1

Originally Posted By: GregH
Exactly what is compacted graphite iron?

not a whole lot of info, but a bit.

Wikipedia - Compacted Graphite Iron

More CGI info