6.7 Powerstoke initial thoughts

Rate this topic

My initial thoughts on the new 6.7L Powerstroke engine:

-Lots of plastic on this motor, kind of like a modular motor.

-Y-block design, like the old “FE” engines and the modular motors.

-Is the oil filter a FL-1995? Looks like it may be a little smaller.

-Belt tensioner appears to be carry over from the 6.4L.

-Looks like dual belt driven water pumps.

-Does not appear to be any room for a dual alternator package.

-Likewise the aftermarket belt driven PTO’s may not work in this package.

-Will “quick” connect coolant hoses make it on to this motor? It looks like maybe so. I am not a fan of them.

-Oil fill on left side of motor, I like that personally.

-The oil dipstick goes over the entire motor and enters into the bell housing. Appears like it may be a tad longer than any other dipstick we have seen, as far as checking oil goes.

-The main water pump appears to be under the power steering pump. Thus the old location appears to be a dummy pulley for belt routing only.

-12 bolt bell housing, more and more as time goes on.

-From the pictures I can see, the airflow into the combustion chambers looks “labored”. Lots of tight bends and obstacles to get to it’s intended destination.

-I’m praying nothing goes wrong under the valve covers. Each side as it’s own set of components that are in “the way” as far as R&R goes.

-Trans cooler lines still have that ridiculous stud off the right side of the block that they are pinned to.

-Cylinders are numbered like a Ford, modular motor that is.

-Lots of fuel plumbing. I can’t make heads or tails out of how it works. But I do see each injector has it’s own return line.

-18 head bolts per side. 8 more than what we’ve been dealing with. I just hope the extra clamping force will offset the use of aluminum heads.

-Engine oil cooler appears to be similar to what the 6.4L/6.0L used and is mounted on the driver’s side like 7.3L.

-Looking at the dyno pictures, I think I’m looking at a ridiculous sized intercooler on the driver’s side of the motor. I hope I’m wrong on that, doesn’t look like much room for a steering shaft and other needed stuff to make a truck a truck.

-Didn’t get a good look at any water take off points for DEF tank heating provisions.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of your questions and thoughts may be addressed if you read the dieselpowermag article.

This motor is chock full of the latest technology and may not appear as something we are used to seeing. Change is nothing if not inevitable...

My initial thoughts on the new 6.7L Powerstroke engine:

-Does not appear to be any room for a dual alternator package.

There is room.....

-Looking at the dyno pictures, I think I’m looking at a ridiculous sized intercooler on the driver’s side of the motor.

It isn't the production piece.

-Didn’t get a good look at any water take off points for DEF tank heating provisions.

You won't find any

All right, I'm gonna highjack this thread just a wee bit. But the Idea of putting a fucking VMAC compressor on these things just makes me want to fucking take the retard out that thinks the idea up of how to to do it. Anyone who puts a VMAC on their trucks is nothing but a fucking retarded Moron. Finning Cat has been switching alot of their trucks to PTO driven Van-Air Compressor systems. And I must say that this is the only way to do it. They are much more pleasant to work with. And I don;t care what anyone says. VMAC's are fucking retarded! We have a 6.4L in here right now with a VMAC. What a fucking cluster fuck. Soooo, with that being said, I sure hope there isn't enough room for one of these fucking abortions on these trucks.

Brad... once you experience ANY truck with a V-Mac, you will begin to wish you could have held on to that fire truck a wee bit better...

These have been very popular in the past... Whoops, I guess we should explain what they are....

They are an engine mounted scroll type air compressor. Modifications are required to the fan shroud, extra bracketry and an extra belt. A couple of oil lines and a fairly large diameter air line... Life doesn't get much better than this.

Quote:
Brad... once you experience ANY truck with a V-Mac, you will begin to wish you could have held on to that fire truck a wee bit better...

Posted ImageBeen patiently waiting on a good one about the old avitar. Posted Image

You guys have noticed the beak on the late E-boxes, right?

So what are you getting at? That "they" may be toying with the idea of shoehorning the 6.7L into them?

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman
You guys have noticed the beak on the late E-boxes, right?
So what are you getting at? That "they" may be toying with the idea of shoehorning the 6.7L into them?

I'm not really "getting at" anything. The market could change in a heartbeat. But, currently, Ford and Chev are the only suppliers for for full size vans in this class. This is too big a market to ignore... especially when you are tooled up to provide vans in this class.

We know that the 6.4 is a physically big motor. The 6.7 is a bit of a wild card - is there stuff thay can unbolt and put somewhere else? The 6.7 gets a bigger rad and a smaller turbo.... The econoline has a longer nose....

I don't know what we will see in the future.... but I don't think it is time to throw a party.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Posted Image We finally have a reliable engine that will get us to the hospital without blowin out an STC fitting or overfueling the crankcase and grenading. Let's see how this unit stands up for a year or two first and then decide whether or not we should take the chances on it.

Not only that, but is there enough height under that tight ass compartment? I'm thinkin not.

Wow. That baby puts out some pony's. I really would like to see Ford get the F-150 diesel out there. I can remember that this has been an ongoing idea and rumor of Ford's since 1997.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, what are the odds we could see the baby scorpion motor in the Econoline? Is that a hint maybe? Posted Image The Econoline has always been a less poerfull unit than the F-series.

Either that or we could just take the turbo off the top of the 6.7L and frame mount that puppy to gain some room. Maybe this would work: http://www.ststurbo.com/the_technology Posted Image

CETANE, ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT THE F-150 DIESEL MAY BE A POSSIBILITY IN THE NOT FAR DISTANT FUTURE?

I THINK THAT WOULD BE A VERY WISE DECISION ON FORD'S PART TO JUMP ON THAT AND GET IT IN PRODUCTION BEFORE ANYONE ELSE!

I can't see them putting a 6.7 L in the F-150. But maybe a baby V-6 version. With the power that the 6.7L is gonna put out, the Superduty is going to get abused severely and shit is just gonna break. With a 6.7L in an F-150, Customers would literally just pull F-150's apart.

i just dont get it, why would you even want a diesel in a half ton? if u want to pull by a super duty. If u are looking for fuel economy that wont be the answer even with a small v6, i would rather drive a 5.4l 3v which i have yet to hear ONE complaint of crappy fuel economy in the 2009, everyone loves then, with the optional tow package of pulling 11000 lbs. with no upfront costs of a disel engine or maintenace cost of one as well. if i was trying to pull 11000 lbs anyways i would step up to a superduty anyways. what kind of pulling power do u think they could get out of a v6 diesel anyways, and what about suspension and frame conerns? And why would they even think about putting a diesel in a half ton when the other 2 arent even thinking about it. And if u are looking for fuel economy in a diesel engine and in a half ton, i am sure it would end up being a gutless wonder, and with DPF systems and now the upcoming uria injection I just dont see any practical use for it. thats just my humble opinion.