Scania diesels are cool!!!!!

Rate this topic

Steve Mutter

Volvo and Renault/Mack are the buddies, Volvo AB and Saab-Scania AB are not friendly as a result of failed offers of purchase over the years.

Scania trucks are highly regarded in ,ost of the world but never had any successful efforts over here in North America. I guess they are like MAN, DAF, and Mercedes. The Euro trucks that sell over here are Americanized versions.

I have a buddy in England who worked at a Scania dealer the last time I visited him. The trucks were cool, quite advanced for their time, and very simple to work on. This is a cabover tractor, 6 cylinder with individual heads. My buddy liked working on them, but has since changed jobs to Cat (ugh!):

Posted Image

Posted Image

The thing that most impressed me about trucks in England is that they are using EBS- Electronic Braking Systems, which is a brake-by-wire system with an air override in case of emergency, and this was almost 5 years ago that I shot these....

There are 5 air and electric cables from the tractor to the trailer!

Posted Image

The other freaky thing is that there are virtually no conventionals in Europe, all cabovers, due to tight roads designed in medieval times and congested freeways. Check this out: The forward rear drive (we'd call it in the States) is not a drive axle, but an I-beam with tie rods, just like the front steer axle. It only has one drive axle (the rear one) and the forward rear axle is a load bearing device only, with steering hooked to the steering box with a 10 foot long drag link! It's visible in the engine shot above and running over the fuel tank here:

Posted Image

Posted Image