2010 Escape 3.0L Lower Engine Block Cracked

Rate this topic

mchan68

Someone switched the 'oil pan bolts' impact gun with the 'pinion nut' impact gun at the factory.

(Yes, I know the engine and diff aren't assembled in the same place, it's a joke about assembly quality and examples of 'it's not my job')

Kinda like the lady the other day wanted to know EXACTLY why the check engine light was on in her escape, because "I build those engines."

Took all of my strength to reply with "Well, you sure didn't fuckin' build that one very good, didja!"

Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

I finally had the time to get to this job today. The engine only arrived about a week and a half ago. Here are some more views:

Posted Image

Posted Image

.....and back in the crate it goes:

Posted Image

I think that is the failed unit, Larry - I think he said it got noticed on a PDI - so I can't see it being a great deal of greasy.

Actually, the story goes that this vehicle was sold, and shortly after the customer took delivery she was back when she noticed a huge puddle of oil on her driveway. Another tech in the shop ordered an oil pan for it. It wasn't until it was noticed that the extent of the damage was deeper, that it landed into my hands. They gave her another vehicle, of course.

Is it me or does that engine look like it was hit right where the break is? I see distinct looking witness marks like something whacked it on that parturition.

Now that you mention it, it could very well be, I don't know. Based on the fact that the customer took delivery of the vehicle and was back the very next day, it could very well be that something whacked it but I would think would've had to whack it pretty hard to cause THAT amount of damage.

The first picture you posted at the top of the thread shows the damaged area of the block directly behind the right axle shaft. This would most likely point to an incident during production somewhere along the line before that shaft was put in. Is there a support bracket for the shaft near there? I am not familiar with the Escape at all but the shaft and anything else running under that area like the exhaust would provide some degree of protection as well. Hey, shit happens.

• 4 years later...

From the archives...

Been seeing a ton of these with a leak at the lower block to block junction. I have, to date, not found any repair info on what is involved with dropping the lower block for a reseal? Is this not a recommended repair? 

It obviously requires removal of timing chain cover and valve covers but my concern is about any dowels at bellhousing area that prevents removal w/o trans removal? If the trans has to come out it would make dropping complete drivetrain a no-brainer IMO.

Edit: a google search found some pictures. As i thought the lower block is a girdle. Pulling the motor would be the only way to guarantee a leak-free repair.

3.0L Duratec exploded view2

3.0L Duratec exploded view3

Same as a 6.0 bed plate. I've been told they can be done motor in chassis. I don't have the patience, dexterity, or small size to work on shit in an engine compartment when I can yank the motor easy.

Same as a 6.0 bed plate. I've been told they can be done motor in chassis. I don't have the patience, dexterity, or small size to work on shit in an engine compartment when I can yank the motor easy.

Just because it can be don't mean that it should be.

• Like 1

From the archives...

Been seeing a ton of these with a leak at the lower block to block junction. I have, to date, not found any repair info on what is involved with dropping the lower block for a reseal? Is this not a recommended repair? 

It obviously requires removal of timing chain cover and valve covers but my concern is about any dowels at bellhousing area that prevents removal w/o trans removal? If the trans has to come out it would make dropping complete drivetrain a no-brainer IMO.

Edit: a google search found some pictures. As i thought the lower block is a girdle. Pulling the motor would be the only way to guarantee a leak-free repair.

I did one of these the other day on a 2008. I dropped the front cradle and split the motor from the transaxle before resealing the bedplate. I ordered a reseal kit and did everything while it was out ...