Fun with TSB 09-13-10

Rate this topic

mchan68

My "next victim" appears to be a 2008 Lincoln MKX for a set of phasers that's been diag'd by our tune-down department. With all the 6.0L diesel shit coming out of my ass lately, I haven't much time wrenching under the hoods of other junk so I was wondering if any of you have ever had the pleasure (or should I say DIS-pleasure?) of this particular repair? I don't see 9.0 hrs. being a realistic time frame, but what else is new right? Reading through the WSM on the procedure to remove the timing cover instructs to do it, with the engine in-vehicle. I swung the vehicle into my bay, and got as far as removing both valve covers, and I don't see how it's physically possible to pull the front cover off in-vehicle. Does anyone have any pointers? Thanks in advance guys.

I'll take it this is pretty much the same as doing the water pump. The guys in my shop are setting the sub frame on jack stands and raising the body... sound familiar?

That's what I was getting at, and the whole point of me posting this thread. The WSM instructs you to remove the front cover IN-CHASSIS but I don't see how this is physically possible. And that's why I was just curious as to how other guys are executing this particular repair. The only issue I have, is how much time I'll be losing by dropping the powertrain, let alone trying to break even or God forbid, actually make time on this job.

I just did an Edge water pump. Dropped the subframe out the bottom and did it that way. I don't have the patience to screw around in that small of a space that ain't attached to a woman.