2007 Ford Edge Creaking Noise

Rate this topic

mchan68

It seems lately, that we've been getting our fair share of strange noise complaints from Edge owners lately. I just so happened to be the lucky recipient of one of these such complaints that I had difficulty attempting to pinpoint. The noise was a creaking (or squeaking) type noise that occured any time the vehicle went over bumps and/or the brakes were applied. After some "playing around" with it, I determined to source of the sound appeared to be originating from from the driver side front area of the fuel tank. Low and behold, upon dropping the tank, I found some witness marks inside, as you will see from the pics below:

Posted Image

This shot was taken from the fuel pump/sender opening to give everyone a clear picture. As you can see, the fuel tank was partially full, and sloshing around inside tank under various sudden changes in vehicle movement, would cause the baffle to move around due to broken spot welds inside the tank.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The other two shots are just there to give everyone better idea of which direction in which the photo shots were taken.

Just thought I'd pass this information along, for those of you who might encounter a similar such complaint.

Good work, Mike. I recently spent many hours trying to track down a squeak/creak on an 07 Edge without success. I tried using chassis ears with no luck at narrowing down the cause. I tightened every fastener in sight fron and rear. I took several people for rides to help narrow down the loaction, but everyone heard a different noise coming from a different location. If it comes back I will be sure to check the fuel tank out.

Good work, Mike. I recently spent many hours trying to track down a squeak/creak on an 07 Edge without success. I tried using chassis ears with no luck at narrowing down the cause. I tightened every fastener in sight fron and rear. I took several people for rides to help narrow down the loaction, but everyone heard a different noise coming from a different location. If it comes back I will be sure to check the fuel tank out.

If you put the vehicle on a drive-on style lift (or alignment rack), rock the vehicle back and forth in PARK. Put your hand on the fuel tank, and you'll "feel" the source of the noise originating from the tank itself like I did for this vehicle. The one thing that is great about this forum, is that I like to share and exchange information/fixes that apply to ALL FoMoCo vehicles, NOT just diesels.

Only rear noise complaint I have seen on edges was one with sand between the spring isolator and the rear control arm, man does that make a fuck of a noise!

Excellent find, Mike. I'd be bald by now if i was working on that machine.