Frequent Regen Diagnostic Tip

Rate this topic

"Regeneration Functional Characteristics"?

Probly been superseded.

I think I have it somewhere.

But it you punch in P1335 as a DTC in OASIS with a VIN -- the update comes with a regen sheet and it says the powertrain output is "modestly limited".

Quote:
Quote:
2904 - 2008-2010 F-SUPER DUTY - P2463 AND P246C CODES WILL NOT CLEAR
SOME 2008-2010 F-SUPER-DUTY MAY EXHIBIT DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P2463(DPF RESTRICTION-SOOT ACCUMULATION) AND/OR P246C(DPF RESTRICTION- FORCED LIMITED POWER) THAT WILL NOT CLEAR USING IDS OR MAY RETURN WITHIN LESS THAN 100 MILES FOLLOWING REPLACEMENT OF THE DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER(DPF). THIS CONCERN MAY BE DUE TO MAF SENSOR CONTAMINATION. VISUALLY INSPECT MAF SENSOR FOR DEBRIS (DIRT/OIL) AND FOREIGN OBJECTS. PERFORM MAF SENSOR PCED PIN POINT TEST J TO CONFIRM SENSOR FUNCTIONALITY. PERFORM PIN POINT TEST RB TO VALIDATE DPF FUNCTIONALITY. CONFIRM AIR FILTER, FILTER LID, PCV PORT AND ALL ATTACHING HARDWARE ARE CORRECTLY INSTALLED AND LATCHED. ENGINEERING INVESTIGATION IN PROGRESS. MONITOR OASIS FOR FUTURE UPDATES.

I have one of these in my bay right now. Cannot clear p2463 and p246c. Clear codes, engine runs for about 3 seconds and then cel and wrench light come back on.It is a forced limited power strategy as well, so it renders this loaded f550 useless. DPF staus pid reads clogged. Tried to run manual regen ( which is hard at -20`c i found out, cant keep downsteam egt and frt hot enough to run) but it wont run cuz theres trouble codes. After doing the 300 second dpf assesment, the pid now reads partially loaded, but it still triggers codes immeditely. Pinpoint tests j and rb are inconclusive. This truck had a new dpf 12000km ago for cracked/ black smoking. All pids look ok, dpf pressure is .4 to .5 lbs at idle, around 6 lbs floorboarded. Maf sensor "looks" ok, hard to see the hot wires in these though. Im not convinced a maf is going to solve it, but well see.

I had one of them do the same thing and I ended up having to change the DPF on it.

Just out of curiosity -- how many miles are on the unit, and how many hours are on it?

I had a long chat with my FSE today - I mentioned this topic and he advised me of a known concern involving connector C110 at the left front shock tower. If you have any type of regen or EGT issue bring up all of the PIDS for DPF and EGT's and perform a wiggle test paying attention to this connector. Disconnect and inspect for loose and pushed out terminal pins causing erratic signals.

I had that on a 450, brand new.( 25 kms on odometer) Accelerate hard and cel would come on and it would go into derate. It was a pushed out pin on that connector. I beleive it was an egt probe wire, #1 in exhaust i think. ( it was a while ago)

I actually had another truck come in for frequent regens and after reading this topic the first thing i did was check the MAF and low and behold it was very dirty.Cleaned with some spray cleaner cleared codes sent it on its way.Customer says its running beautiful now.