2005 6.0L wrench lite on

Rate this topic

2005 6.0L 130,000k has a intermittant concern of a wrench light coming on while driving and what seems like it goes in limp mode. When testing for codes it comes up with P0234-Turbo overboost; P0299-turbo underboost; P2290& P2291 ICP codes. Have replaced EBP, MAP and ICP sensors, did PCM reprogram, poked probed and yanked on wiring harnessesand cannot duplicate concern.The concern is intermittant, we drove the truck over 250k one day with different drivers driveing different ways and lite never came on, cust pick up truck drove 50k and lite came on. When the light comes on and truck goes into limp mode u can just cycle the keyy off and on crusing down highway and it is all normal again. WE had let the truck sit and idle out side and after 2-3 hours the wrench light comes on setting the codes with out no one touching it. Just to confirm that this is the wrench light coming on and not the MIL light, the MIL light never does come on.

From the DTC's you probably have two separate problems, both of which are not uncommon, together or alone. The first set of DTC's could be the result of a sticking VGT - I would slap the test sensor on it and perform the VVT test. The second pair of DTC's could be a high pressure oil leak becoming evident. Sometimes deteriorating dummy plug seals cause intermittent power loss, check engine lights and crank no start conditions. STC fittings can do nutty things if the loosen or the o-rings are just starting to fail. Check the repair history to see if either have ever been serviced. If not you can have both apart in a few hours...

I am just wondering why the wrench light comes on and puts the truck in limp mode instead of the check engine light comimg on, both turbo tests where done with the IDS and both pass.The VGT can be commamed up and down with no problems. And what would the wrench light have to do with low ICP or turbo boost...should it not be turning on the MIL light and how can it register overboost and underboost at the same time

Dave, it is entirely possible that the P0299 is set before the engine has reached normal operating temp and still produce an over boost once its warmed up, had a E450 do that last week and the VVT test did show a passing result. As for the wrench light on in the dash, I would assume it has the latest calibration update and thats why it flagged the wrench light. As Keith pointed out about the ICP codes... check the history on it and then proceed checking the Hi-press oil system for leaks.

What exactly are you meaning when you say limp mode? Are you saying it idles only? Or does it just reduce power? I am wondering if your AP is acting up and not setting a code. It will definetly kick on the wrench lite and anytime I have ever seen a wrench lite on it was always an accel pedal concern.

With the codes you have listed, I have yet to see a "all of a sudden" limp mode condition that can be reset by cycling the key. '05's are notorious for pattern failures. If it has not had a STC fitting replaced or updated, then it needs one. It's gonna fail, just a matter of time.

We have an o-ring service kit for ICP concerns on customer pay jobs. They get the whole ball of wax minus the injector top o-rings, and they are inspected as well as the oil rail input tits for damage or wear.

The turbo is another classic and we all know it. When in doubt pull it and open it up, most of the time your gonna find a problem and in the slim chance you don't, it's better to have checked it off the list than to have overlooked it and find out it was the culprit 10 hours later.

What i mean by limp mode is the power is reduced, can only get to maybe 50mph top, can only get 16-18 lbs of boost top, but the accelerater pedal still works, when reading the AP pids on Ids, they all read normal, when u have it to the floor trying to get speed IPR is maxed at 84%, all u have to do is put it in N, cycle the key off-on and restart and all is back to normal. I understand about there maybe being a HP oil leak, but would that HP oil leak turn on the wrench light and have reduced power. All of my HP oil leaks i had to deal with all had a stall concern and maybe a no start after hot.

Take a closer look at your ICP voltage to diagnose this. KOEO should be between .17 and .24v, idling is usually just under a volt. If IPR command is going to 84% the PCM is probably not seeing what it wants in ICPV/pressure. I have seen the IPR command go to 70-80% before on a hard road test but usually if you see 84% there's a problem, as that's max. Don't rely on ICP pressure during diag as the PCM will substitute a known good value if it is whacked out. It sounds like an electrical problem, like maybe a bad harness, in addition to the possibility of a sticking VGT.

Brake torque it, go on and off the throttle hard and see if it dies. There's no good diag for a leaking STC fitting.

Keep us posted, you've got a tough one.

Posted Image

When the ICP sensor was replaced, was the connector replaced also? If I unplug the ICP or EBP connector and the shell stays in the sensor, I replace it. You could have a pin fitment problem. I think the biggest key is going to be reproducing the concern. If the customer can get it to act up more frequently, then it maybe best to load the IDS up and go for an "extended" test drive while you ride shotgun. In the event that I can't get anyone to drive a vehicle, I put the cursor of the IDS over the movie capture button, then I rest my hand near the left mouse button. If a concern happens I just tap the button and never have to take my eyes off the road. I then pull over when I can and see what I got.

If this harness is giving trouble, it maybe very difficult to find. I have filleted replaced 6.0L harnesses open and found some really frigged up wires inside. I would also keep a close eye on sync and rpm pids as well as the icp voltage while driving.

Sounds like multiple problems.....

The over/under boost codes would merit a look at the inside of the turbo and the unison ring. I'll bet the actuator has notched the ring and has been sticking not to mention excess carbon build up. Does this truck idle for extended periods?

In the event that I can't get anyone to drive a vehicle, I put the cursor of the IDS over the movie capture button, then I rest my hand near the left mouse button. If a concern happens I just tap the button and never have to take my eyes off the road. I then pull over when I can and see what I got.

Here's little tip: You can push on the space bar while in data logger and it will start recording. I also use a VDR quite a bit when I have the shop foreman or the customer drive the vehicle.

Nice tip, did you find that by accident? One if my service advisors knows a gillion keyboard short cuts from just playing around.

Another thought I had about this IPR percentage maxing out: it might not hurt to pull the valve and have a look at the end of it. I also would run the vehicle hard til its smokin hot then let it idle and see what the IPR percentage hangs out at. If it starts climbing at idle, then I would question the customer to see if the motor has been apart. If it hasn't I would start diggin in for a high pressure leak and turbo issue. Even if it does not get to the root of the problem, these still maybe problems and I have found that you need to fix what you know is broken before continuing on.

If the glow plug lamp on the dash flashes on when the concern starts, that's a good indication of a freaked out PCM - usually caused by a bad harness...

Nice tip, did you find that by accident? One if my service advisors knows a gillion keyboard short cuts from just playing around.

Yes it was an accident. When I was on a test drive my computer went into screen saver mode and when I pushed the space bar to wake it up I noticed the blue bar on the bottom of the screen showing it was recording.

• 8 months later...

Just did one, ended up replacing complete turbo assy. since CHRA had been replaced TWICE and cleaned THREE TIMES already... Hotline figured something wrong with the exhaust side of the VGT when it got hot. I took the old turbo apart, it was carboned up not very much, ring moved pretty freely on the CHRA but the vanes were tough to move on the pins in the exhaust side of the housing.