F series remote lock

Rate this topic

Has anybody come across a good kit to install remote door locks into a mid 90s F series. Specifically a 96 F-250. I love my 96 and will probably be buried in it, when I die. I also own an 06 and it is ok. The only thing from my new one that I would want on my 96 is the remote door locks, and the key pad on the door. Any suggestions on where to look for one, or even someone that has installed one and how it worked. Thanks for the thoughts fellas.

Does your 96 have pwr locks already? if so, why not put in a remote start sytem/ rke combo? Otherwise most alarm system manufacturers have rke kits available. I put a "black widow" rke setup in a 95 chevy i had, i think it was around $100 at the time. Mind you, that was like 8 years ago...

They do come on sale quite frequently for $99.00 up here at Canadian Tire. Reg. $199.00 and they have a manual trans option. That's a Prostart brand name.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoAccessories/RemoteCarStarters/PRD~0340744P/ProStart%2B4-Button%2BRemote%2BStarter%2Bwith%2BKeyless%2BEntry%2Band%2BAlarm.jsp

I have an Ultra Start in my 99' with a ZF six speed.

Just made me think of my buddy with an 03 dodge diesel, 6spd. Had a rmst put in at a&b sound. They fugged something up, it started in gear one day and pushed his garage off its slab.

Manual trans RMST?

That frightens me...

What frightens me even more is the guys that install the automatic ones on a stick truck and bypass the clutch switch.

That part should have every last one of us screaming loud and long about integrity and throwing caution to the winds...

Dp we have to wait until some little kids get killed before we speak up? If we don't start policing our own industry better... the governments of our respect countries will be more than happy to step up to the plate - along with some new taxes and/or "user" (read that as licencing?) fees.

Sorry guys... we are our brothers keeper...

We had a service adviser that owned a Focus with a stick. He had our accessories installer put in an alarm with a remote start - they omitted the neutral safety device that goes around the shifter to ensure the vehicle is in neutral. I recall the discussion clearly when he insisted that the shifter switch was not necessary, and I quote: "C`mon guys, what do you think, I am stupid?" Less than a week later the car was bouncing around in a parking spot as it cranked, bounced off customer's cars and would not start and retried a couple of times. I heard the dumb ass tried to open the driver's door for what reason is beyond me, all he had to do was hit the button on his key fob.

Posted Image

Yep it has power locks

Robert, have you checked to see if has a factory RKE system already on it? For a truck that old you basically have to look for the module. On those trucks and all the cars back then, you had to jump out a two pin connector to put the vehicle inot program mode to accept new key fobs. Take a look under your steering column for the connector. It will be a two pin male conncector with nothing plugged into it. Be careful because there are two connectors like that. The one you want will have a white/yellow wire and a grey/orange wire or close to it. The other connector has green or blue wires in it. Take a jumper wire or screwdriver or whatever and short the pins out while the key is on, the door locks will cycle. If they do, then your in and all you need to do is purchase a key fob and hit the button to program it while the connector is shorted out. Turn the key off and the locks will cycle again letting you know it took. The connector will be pretty visible as soon as you look past the knee trim panel and just about center where the steering column is. It maybe taped up in the harness and you may have to move it around a bit. Of course if you don't see it then it's not equipped and your back to square one.

Thanks Brad I will definitely look for it next time I am at my shop. That would be awesome if it did. I dont really want the remote start, I dont see a point in it. In fact I WILL not buy a remote start for my trucks. Thanks guys. If it does have the module all I need to do is ask my parts man for a remote lock key fob for a 96 f series? Or is there a part number I can go in with.

I know several of the bigger companies out there make RKE systems, as well as plain keyless entry systems without the remote start options as I have ordered them in and installed them for customers before. I will do some digging back in files & notes and try and find the brand that I had put in and let you know if you dont come up with anything. IIRC, the RKE w/o remote start was around $60, and keyless entry was around $35.

That would be great. I checked it out after work last night and it does not have the factory module. So I will have to go aftermarket for this option if a good one is available. Thanks for the help guys.

• 1 month later...

OK, finally getting back to this a little late. I'm not sure if you have found anything yet, but look up a Crimestopper CS870. It is strictly a RKE system without remote start. You can google it or look on EBay and i'm seeing the kits on there from 35-45 on average.

Buddy