97 f250 5.8 oil pan problem

Rate this topic

nunan

hey guys,

i'm doing a timing cover on a 5.8 and took the pan off, well took it down. i'm trying to get the pan off, have the engine hoisted up and the trans jacked up as far as it can go, and still no luck getting it out. its hitting the oil pump itself, not the pickup which i already removed. workshop says nothing about the oil pump being removed, and before i remove it i wanna make sure i can get it back on without having to do some more finagling to get it back in. Thanks again

Undo the oil pump and let it fall into the pan, the drive rod should come with it. Put the pickup back on the pump first when re-installing the whole mess. Don't forget the drive rod!

Also, there should be a bracket on the left side of the frame where the engine mount attaches. remove that and the engine mount, then pry the engine/ trans. rearward when you slide the pan in and out.

Why are you removing the pan? You can easily slide the gasket in place with the pan unbolted and hanging down.

Why are you removing the pan? You can easily slide the gasket in place with the pan unbolted and hanging down.

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning when I first read this thread. Of all the 5.0L/5.8L oil pans I've done, I don't think I've ever encountered difficulty removing them by lifting the engine up a couple inches and unbolting the pickup and pump assembly.

Originally Posted By: Mekanik

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning when I first read this thread. Of all the 5.0L/5.8L oil pans I've done, I don't think I've ever encountered difficulty removing them by lifting the engine up a couple inches and unbolting the pickup and pump assembly.

Oh yeah, I usally drop the exaust all the way down and remove the crossmember too. Good luck!!!

because the timing cover had a bolt that was rotted in place and no matter what i did i couldnt get it out. heat wrench, stud removers, bolt extractors, reverse drill bits. I've gotten pretty good with rusted shit, but this one would not budge. was replacing the timing cover anyway, but i had to wrench the cover out so a bunch of crap fell in the oil pan and i wanted to make sure the pan was clean.

i was pretty sure i could just sneak the gasket in there, but once all the shit from the cover and surrounding areas started falling in the pan i wanted to make sure it was clean.

• 3 weeks later...

quick question, the 4 water pump bolts that go straight through to the block. do they go into water passages or anything? i need to drill one out, but dont want to crack into a water passage if possible.

thanks

The 4 long water pump studs go into the water jacket, that is why they get all corroded and sieze up. I have never drilled a broken bolt. Weld a nut onto the broken stud. The heat from welding will help loosen the threads. Put pipe sealer on the new studs to stop coolant from running past the threads and corroding everything up again. You never know, you might be the next guy to take this thing apart down the road. Also, how rusty is the oil pan? Might be a good time for a new one.