The other other 6.4 oil leak

Rate this topic

Truck comes in today, oil leak complaint.

Has had the LH rocker cover and gasket and glow plug harness replaced twice.

Well, odds are it isn't the valve cover gasket for the 3rd time in 6k miles.

Wash 'er all down. Roadie. No oil. Hmm....

Feed some smoke down the dipstick tube.

Ahhhhhh...

The tab that holds the dipstick to the turbo crossover support -- the welds have broken off, tube isn't loose, but there's your oil leak.

Just a heads up, if it hasn't been discussed or anyone hasn't seen it before.

Seen a few as well. Man those things leak a ton of oil.

You ain't kidding! This damn thing is oiled underneath from the front to the back down the driver's side!

Seen probably a dozen with this issue....don't think there was ever a message on them, but they make a HUGE mess!!!! WSM says to remove a whole bunch of crap to replace the tube....totally unnecessary!!!! If you pull the 13mm nut, and the 8mm bolt from the tube, you can snake it out the bottom with a little twisting/turning and some finesse, and then fish it back up - easier if you grab a helper to guide the top into the correct position.

• 7 years later...

Anyone have any success cleaning out the hole in the upper pan? Mine is corroded enough that the oring on the new tube won't go back into the hole. There is not enough room to get anything in there to clean it out from the top. My only foreseeable option is the drop the lower pan and go from the bottom. Thanks. 

I've had the same issue multiple times now. I get these little rolled up sanding bits from harbor freight that seem to work well. You can just use your fingers to spin them in the hole. Either that or maybe some sandpaper wrapped around an Allen wrench

I know one thing, never try to draw the tube in with the bolt. I removed the threads in an upper pan once.