Technician Spiffs

Rate this topic

Gofaster23

Ok, we know the service advisors get spiffs from Ford and management, service managers get spiffs from Ford and upper management, upper management/dealer principle get spiffs from Ford and parts vendors. Does anyone work at a shop with technician spiffs? Any bonus programs besides the lube guys with their Wynn's/BG money?

I recall that spin thing they had when i was at ford. Oh yea and that bs jb emissions kit, every one you sell you get 5 dollars when the jb guy comes around-just save your box tops! We got 1hr. for the service, i'd pour a can in the fuel tank and the other 2 cans got tossed in the dumpster. Easy money to pay the tool guy-lol.

Man, it's been a really really long time since I've ever seen any kind of reward system. And if there are these so called reward systems, they are allways aimed towards maintenance techs. tTe last one I can remember was about four years ago and no flat rate diesel tech doing over 90% warranty work ever has a hope in hell of getting any kind of reward.

Which brings me to the question.......What are the rewards for doing what we do? I can only write off a maximum of $1800.00/year for a maximum return of $500.00/year. No bonus programs for warranty techs......and don't tell me my career is my reward Jim. Because Carpenters, Bank Managers, Doctors, lawyers and Indian Chiefs all get that same reward, but they also get allot more than that. Posted ImagePosted Image Shit! That's it! This career has allowed me to become a raging Alcoholic Beer Connoisseur. What the hell was I thinking all these years? Posted Image

You ever think about working in a fleet shop? That warrenty crap really burned me up. It's mostly what i got stuck with. Now i do warrenty work, same write ups and prior and all that crap, but the paycheck is always the same or better if overtime is worked.

We have an upsell "spiff" program where we get 1 dollar per wiper blade or air filter, 2 dollars per axle for brakes, coolant flush, transmission service, 3 dollars for each battery, 4 dollars per tire, 5 dollars for windshields and up to 15 dollars for body/detail work. All paid in gift cards, tax free.

We have a spiff in our shop where we have a 'pull board' which has 100 squares on it, under the paper on each square is a dollar amount anywhere from $5 - $100. Every 2 hours of upsale you get a pull, this is our incentive to inspect the vehicles since we don't get paid to do an inspection. Boss man keeps track of the pulls and we do them every Friday. Naturally the lube techs usually have the most pulls! But I usually still get a bit out of it. Better than nothing I suppose!

We do 5% of the labor upsold on a ticket customer pay for the tech who did the inspection. Works out ok for the guys doing diesel warranty work, as they are often over 36000 miles and

can get some retail work sold on them. we do spiffs every 2 weeks. Some of the guys get a fair bit of $$.

Depends on what we want to call a "spiff"... I know some flat rate guys that get a $2 or $3 per hour bonus for breaking 100 hours in a pay... Yeah, I know it can be tough... But it wasn't that long ago an old man was doing it most every pay... You have to remain focussed..

Is a spiff a little something like a jacket or a hoodie? I hopes so... because I thought the one handed out not too long ago was a nice little spiff..... Ford gave me a spiff for last year... $150 minus the appropriate amount of imcome tax - some of us will bitch at Ford because revenue Canada calls that a "taxable benefit". (So was the hoodie but I wont tell if you don't).

Then theres the jugs and the snack platters at Xmas.. and the parties and other staff functions... Could they be called "spiffs"...

What is a spiff, anyway... something you fold up and stuff in your jeans a couple of months? Wait... there's a name for that... we'll come back to that later... Or is a spiff a little token of gratitude... how little is too litle? I come from a generation where there was no free lunch.. I have no idea what youngsters have grown up expecting.

A long tme ago, back when I had my own grand mal headache, the oil company that owned my gas station asked me how I rewarded my staff... I replied that I gave them my autograph twice a month. I repleid that for every dollar of CPP that the government took from them, I added a dollar of my own... I replied that for every dollar of Employment insurance premiums that the government took from them, I added a dollar 40 out of my pocket...

I think one of the big dangers might be that we can't recognize a spiff any more....

While we're on the subject... does Ford do the cruises for Senior Masters still? How about the ultimate Master tech contest?

We need to be very careful that we don't spend so much of our time mourning something we never had that we have no time left to enjoy those things that we do have.

Thanks for the input guys! I'm trying to put a plan together to propose to management. The only thing is that there are nearly 20 techs here, 12 are diesel certified, and we are a very high volume dealer. So a program where a diesel tech gets an extra $2 per hour for warranty diesel work would not work since some techs do 98% warranty diesel work. I'm working on something has uses tiers divided into levels and take the average hours of each tech and assign them in the appropriate tier. Set the tier 15 to 20 hours higher than their average and that should help push the techs to produce more. If I could find an old spin wheel off craigslist, a spin to win program would be a good idea.