Matco MD9001A Scan Tool

robp823

Which PSD? It's probably limited on what it can do on 6.0/ups. Ford never released the bidirectional CAN code to ETI, which means aftermarket scan tools have little or no bidi on Ford CAN vehicles. At that low price it probably reads/clears CAN codes, does KOEO/KOER etc and has PIDS, but not all PIDS. It probably works very well on 7.3s, which are still SCP.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

you are correct Bruce.It does well with 7.3s and even does injector buzz test.As for 6.0 and later im not sure never had it hooked up to one.But it is updated via internet through a cable.

I was more concerned with the CAN trucks, 6.0 & 6.4

I don't see a whole lot of 7.3 trucks.

Was hoping to find something I can use without having to drag the whole fucking IDS and crap outside, just to check a code.

For S&G, see what PIDS you can pull up and make sure all of the good ones are present. Count how many there are, I bet it's half what the IDS has. For $450 I'm sure it's a good tool. I have to stop myself from comparing it to a $3000 IDS, as it's just not the same.

Posted Image

I was more concerned with the CAN trucks, 6.0 & 6.4

I don't see a whole lot of 7.3 trucks.

Was hoping to find something I can use without having to drag the whole fucking IDS and crap outside, just to check a code.

You could try something like the Genisys... works pretty good on gas - everything I have "needed" thus far but I wouldn't get too comfortable with that statement. Reading PCM codes on a diesel... yep... but you will always be about three years behind on software coverage... whish means you will haul the Genisys out to the truck, carry it back inside and haul out the IDS?

Now.... and here comes the DIG (can we have a drum roll please) ... I realize your back is fucked... but I know a guy that is pushing 60 years... and he can carry a fucking IDS in ONE HAND!!!!! Posted Image

You could try something like the Genisys... works pretty good on gas - everything I have "needed" thus far but I wouldn't get too comfortable with that statement.

You obviously haven't tried fixing a 6.0 with it.....

Posted Image

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman
You could try something like the Genisys... works pretty good on gas - everything I have "needed" thus far but I wouldn't get too comfortable with that statement.

You obviously haven't tried fixing a 6.0 with it.....

Posted Image

To be honest, if I needed to "fix" a 6.0. I would opt for the IDS at this point in time... I wouldn't try to fix a 6.0 with it. I did say "Reading PCM codes on a diesel... yep"... but then an Edge will do that too. If all I need to do is "read" codes... maybe...

One way or the other, Aaron is going to carry some kind of scan tool out to a truck... it might as well be the best one for the job if it is available.

FWIW, many, many times I am sent out to the driveway to scan for codes. I am asked to offer an opinion based on those codes so that we might book enough time for whatever repair I "think" is necessary and ensure that we have whatever parts I assume we might need in stock...

I'm betting he wants the Matco tool to use as a secondary tool when the IDS is tied up on another truck, or for a quick scan and code check after a successful RT. It could also be used for a quick direction of where to go. I'm sure it will do all of those just fine as long as it's not used to replace the IDS.

As a second level/backup tool, it will be just fine!

Posted Image

As for the Genisys, I have one and it's pretty good for a generic tool. AE does more for less money though. You even have to be careful referring to "Genisys", as there are dozens of PNs of Genisyses (Genocide?) ranging from a grand to 5 grand.

FWIW, many, many times I am sent out to the driveway to scan for codes. I am asked to offer an opinion based on those codes so that we might book enough time for whatever repair I "think" is necessary and ensure that we have whatever parts I assume we might need in stock...

That was my main goal.

And yes, I'll just keep carring the IDS out with one hand, fucker. Posted Image

I was kinda toying with the idea, like you said... quickie pull codes, oh fuck it's got a P0611...do we have a FICM in stock? But again, without being able to view the pids...it's kind of a catch-22 situation.

I wish PDS worked on a diesel properly.