Removing RH adaptor pipe without pulling trans?

Rate this topic

This is the ticket..Thanks for the tip!!!

words of caution. pop the trans to cooler lines off the frame, just the little clippy deal. no need to remove them. I also loosed the radiator clamps to avoid tension on the upper hose. other then that all went well

• 2 months later...

Been doing that for years on reg. and extended cab 6L when the up-pipes went on those too. You can just slide it around the turbo on the driver's side. And was faster that pulling the turbo. Especially when it was an 03/04 with the first design pedistal.

Never though to do it on the 6.4L though. Good tip. Thanks.

What about the three up-pipe to turbo bolts? Are they removed after the body is raised?

I'll answer my own question: After the body was raised and the downpipe almost fell out of the truck, I had plenty of room to get to the three up-pipe to turbo bolts. Removing the rounded off bolt was easy too.

That was a GREAT shortcut!!! Posted Image

• 1 month later...

well guess who finally gets to do one. i checked the truck out today and ordered parts for monday. it actually came in for the reprogram recall(IDS locked me out btw)

this one is a 350 cab and chassis with a huge salt spreader. both sides have 2 broken manifold studs and the rh up-pipe flex is split. this thing squeals so bad you can't hear yourself think in the cab

so 2 manifolds and an uppipe. never done either one, i have a feeling i'm in for a surprise

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the tip Tom. Finally did one your way and it was a piece of cake. I've done a few turbos in cab before and I can see where raising the front of the cab will make this alot easier also.

• 1 month later...

just an fyi you can pull all 4 cab bolts on the right side and tilt the cab up from the side and disconnect less shit.

motors will also come out the front with a cab tilted back. you can pull them complete with the fan on.

We must be very lucky here, or extremely blessed. Since the 6.4 came out I have changed maybe 5 up-pipes, 2 of those on the same vehicle.

I finally found a reason to try this job. The truck had a pretty rotten looking PTO. It worked well (enough). I still don't think I would do it again unless I run in to another reason the transmission would be difficult to remove.

• 3 months later...

Our general tech got to do his first right side up pipe yesterday. He is quick at pulling trannies, had it running leak free in just over 5 hours. I think he should get them all now.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sweet idea. Worked slick.

BTW..if you get one that has the exhaust manifold threads damaged enough that the studs pull out when torquing the nuts, use a W302649 bolt. They are long enough to go past the damaged threads and grab the remaining good threads at the back of the hole.