Push rods

Rate this topic

put heads back this morning, turning engine over by hand felt a push rod bend, still had valve covers off, put a new pushrod in turned engine over engine locked up tight, pull new push rod out, engine turns over fine, start looking new pushrod is 3/8 in longer at least, go into parts thats the only pushrod listed, luckily green sales is in town and has old number, why the hell would ford update a part number with a pushrod thats too long

• 3 weeks later...

It was a change made a couple of years ago. My understanding is that it was implemented to address a tolerance stack up issue. The lifters should have plenty of margin to accommodate it. I doubt it was the issue with lockup. I would check for stuck valves or a miss-timed camshaft.

Cyls 1 and 5 exuast pushrods bent on the heads i just did, also cyl 5 exaust rockerarm cracked. I lined everything up and put all the valvetrain components back to the same positions they were before. I put the crank at 6o'clock. The onlything i did not do was turn the crankshsaft by hand before i started it. What a horible sound this thing made-gave me shivers up my spine.

I replaced the pushrods and a rockerarm, then i turned the engine by hand a few revolutions, all looks well. I cranked it up a bit and thankfully she ran great. This was the first time ever that i did'nt turn an engine by hand after doing engine work. I forgot, but serves me right.