08 Escape abs

Rate this topic

Mbl35

Got an o8 escape 3.0, has abs, brake and trac lts. on.

No comunication with abs module and no com network code in cluster and pcm for abs. Checked all powers and grounds with a lightbulb and all are ok. Tested hs can data bus to dlc and checks out ok. I guess the abs module is faulty-as per the pp test in the ws manual. Anyone else had to change an abs module on one of these for a no comunication issue?

This is in a bitch location and i never had to rnr an abs mod on an escape before. Im just wondering if there's anyhting else i could be missing like pcm cluster. I recall having to change out a few smj on 05 and 06 both on reg. escapes and a hybrid.

Anyone?

Haven't eben changing any of THOSE specific modules, but I have changed more modules in the past year than in the past 4 years... and it's all been the root cause... failed module. Pins immaculate, clean power, good load tested network/powers/grounds...

And yeah, they aren't fun to get at.

Yea, thanks. I think it's just that. But i just wanted to be sure because of what you must do to change it out. Almost every time i change a module it's just faulty and thats it. I also forgot to mention in the 1st post that i also had a faulty steering module on an 06 escape hybrid, it was sitting in the lot and when they went to move it for pdi the steering was stiff. All the circutry checked out fine. install it and steering ok-good thing for the steering shaft.

Anyway the abs mod's on order. I just like to be sure with modules and certain sensors that i never changed before and don't recall them as being common to fail.

I agree with you a hundred percent.

I have had a lot of these thoughts recently... Modules failing, for no apparent reason. Guy beside me had THREE modules fail on the same car, at the same time... ACM, RCM, and another one I can't remember offhand.

I've changed a bunch of TBC's so far this year, a couple ABS modules, a PCM or two.

Another guy in my shop had a PCM fail on a 6.4 truck, only concern was A/C inop.

Makes ya wonder when you start seeing runs of module failures, if there isn't some extreme static activity in your immediate area or something, causing them to go for a shit... Very interesting situation indeed.

Yup, and it's not just ford i've seen this on. On gm i've seen this, once on a 99 minivan-forgot the name of it-venture, it was oveheating and the fans were not turning on, the fans and circuitry were fine, turns out the pcm was faulty.

Another on 04 impala, it had a code for evap vent valve circuit, the vavle and circuit to the pcm were fine, a new pcm fixed it.

On the japanese stuff it was usually ecu failure caused by water leaks and heatercores leaking coolant down into them.

Speaking of that static activity in the area, i think i posted somthing to that effect in feb. about an ambulance that just shut off for no reason and 2 other cars in traffic next to it shut down as well-weird.

• 4 weeks later...

Module is in now and it comunicates, though i can't finish configuring the module. After i put the as built data in the ids says module configuration complete. Then i do ivd initialization-but the ids does not ask to turn the steering wheel lock to lock and it only takes like a second and the ids says ivd is complete.

The abs lt. flashes now and the trac. lt. stays on also there's a module configuration error code, boost solenoid code and steering wheel sensor code. Well i found out that because our ids is running at 66.15 and needs to be at 69.02 in order to properly install pmi modules. I could not update the ids the other day when the vehicle was there because our internet was super slow. I tried to inhale the data out of another 08 and exhale it into this one but it did'nt work-i done this before with a pds a few years back on an explorer cluster and it worked.

Quote:
I could not update the ids the other day when the vehicle was there because our internet was super slow.

We suffer from the same problem. The last guy to leave the shop is saddled with starting the download and letting it do its thing overnight. First guy in is burdened with finishing the update.

Well i found out that was not the problem. This is an 08 and they sent me 7a2z-2c219-e and i had the hotline engineer run the vin, he said thats the wrong module and not to put any thing with the 1st# of the prefix that is lower than the year of the vehicle, but thats what the dealer came up with when they ran the vin. I told the engineer that i think this module is for a hybrid because u1900 keeps coming up thats for abs module comunications error hybrid only and rcm comunications error for all escapes. Also it keeps giving a steering angle sensor code and a brake boost solenoid error code and 2477. I dont see any steering angle sensor on the rack or on the colemn and don't show in the ws manual as well, plus the steering angle sensor and boost solenoid dtc's are not on the dtc list in the abs section of the ws manual. Also the steering angle sensor pids are in data logger but all show like an open circuit or if the plug is off. The engineer thinks the module is for a highbrid but he don't know for sure, i can't run the part# because ford fleet don't have that function. Well looks like i'll be switching the module out again when we get the right one-yea!