'02 7.3 FUEL CONTAMINATION

Rate this topic

This truck came in as a hard start, but it is more like a no start. My sample taken from the filter drain looked like pond water, and did not smell like fuel, but samples taken from the inlet side of pump are clean, as well as the outlet side.

If I run the pump using a Power Probe and take sample from the drain, it comes out clean, but if I crank the engine, and take a sample it is contaminated, possibly w/ oil, not sure.

FP is 2-4ms IPR is 38% ICP is 2-2300 psi, engine oil level ok. Occasionally it starts, but is only running on a few cylinders, and dies after 30 to 60 seconds.

Any ideas?

I'm confused about these fuel samples. "Looks like pond water" reminds me of some of the trucks I have seen with water in the tank. Looked like water with organic crud in it like tiny wood chips. Does a good job clogging fuel filters. A fuel sample that is very dark in color especially if taken at the filter might indicate oil contamination. If that's the case you should suspect a failed o-ring on an injector. The oil pressure is much higher than the fuel pressure causing it to enter the fuel system. I have heard stories of "black fuel" but have never actually seen it.

Here is the senario: Try to start truck, weak batteries and starter. Replace batteries, starter shot. Replace starter, fires occasionally, but mostly just cranks. Perform diag, find contaminated fuel. Verify fuel source is ok. Improperly installed and clogged fuel filter. Replace filter, clean fuel taken from seperator drain. Still no start, continue diag, find weak pump. Replace pump, vehicle starts, warm to temp, vehicle develops miss. Retrieve DTCs for #8. Perform diag, find engine requires inj.

Look at compressor blade while intake air tube is off, hey it looks just like the one in the photos!! The vehicle has 44,000 miles, and has been obviously abused! When does it stop?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

• 4 months later...

You know, The most common thing I see on 7.3 trucks is the air filter housing lid is not seated because the outboard tangs are not seated into the slots. Sure the clamps hold the cover on but there is a big gap on the other end!

Also, K&N filters on the same 7.3 trucks, some for what ever reason don't seem to be thick enough to seal the cover to the base of the housing. Air and dirt just go around the element.

Just an observation. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif

• 2 weeks later...

K&N filters that don't get cleaned and oiled regularly also allow huge chunks to pass through. Hold a K&N to the trouble light sometime and you will see why no 7.3 should run one of these filters.