Plow Package ???

Rate this topic

How can you tell if a Super Duty truck was built with a plow package? Is there a code on the VID or is there anything on the truck that is noticeably different?

And the first wise ass that says look to see if a there is a plow frame... Posted Image

I'm not aware of any such package that is factory installed. If I recall correctly, there was an SSM awhile back to advise us of the availability of an upgraded 140 amp alternator as well as a fan clutch that will ramp up the duty cycle sooner. Both of which would be considered a non-warrantable upgrade of course.

I've always just asked my parts guy. They seem to have some special info in their computers that shows such options. Though I only ever sell the heavy duty fan clutches and alternators anyway.

Yeah, any time I have ever heard any mention was for diesel fan clutches. Apparently our part catalog pulls the right parts based on the VIN. The reason I am asking this question is that our sales department asked me if I knew how to tell. Apparently they have a used truck they wanted to know if it had the plow prep package.

Keith I did find this also.....

Front Springs:

FGAWR (lb)--Part #

4,000--5C34-5310-AHB

4,400--5C34-5310-AGB

4,800--5C34-5310-AFB

5,200--5C34-5310-AEB

5,600--5C34-5310-ADB

6,000--5C34-5310-ACB

6,500--5C34-5310-ABB

7,000--5C34-5310-AAB

To determine what springs are on the truck, look at the door sticker for the FGAWR rating of the truck. The snowplow package is a 1-up spring,which means if a non-snowplow-equipped truck was built with 5,200-pounds FGAWR, and it needs to have a snowplow installed, the 5,600-pound springs (-ADB) would be required. The 6,500- and 7,000-pound springs are used with the F-450 and F-550 trucks. The F-250 and F-350 axle is only rated to 6,000 pounds.

It was reading like a after the fact change.....

Well it does seem that HVBOM can be used to determine if a vehicle is equipped with the plow prep package.

With newer vehicles you view the window sticker - see the HVBOM window for the Window Sticker button. I was able to find plow package listed on the VIN I ran.

Of course, the features tab lists the axle and spring codes... any sales person with a clue as to what he/she is looking at could probably tell from that.

• 10 months later...

The local Western Snow Plow Dealer says he will not install a plow on a late model Super Duty that does not have plow package. He says front frame rails are reinforced where mounting brackets go. My 06 has plow package, My Fed Ex fleet does not. I will compare frames to see.