Camshaft R&R

Rate this topic

Looks like I have one with a bad cam coming in. This is a rear engine school bus 2006 vintage. I have yet to do a cam in one of these engines, so I was reading through the service manual. Our service manual shows the bedplate and crank need to be taken out to remove the cam. Going by the pics, there is a flange (the rear seal rides on this flange)on the crank that prevents the tech from sliding the cam out. Couldn't find anything in the service book that indicates that this flange can be removed. What do you guys usually do?

There have been MANY threads on this topic covered if you do a search. The six bolts on the flange you speak of, are what I call (and what Ford unofficially calls) the "DO NOT FUCK WITH" bolts. You remove the flange, and you replace the crank as well or you end up creating a permanent oil leak. Perhaps it would be wise to quote a short or long block due to the cost involved.

A REAR engine school bus with a 6.0L? Never heard or seen one before. Do you have pics?

Hven't done a 6.0 yet but I've done a couple of 6.4s.... You can pull the bed plate and find the "sweet spot" - this willl allow you to undo only two or three rod caps and lift the back end of the crank high enough to slip the cam gear past the rear crank hub.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with those bolts.... I'm not sure if the engineers are right about the outcome - but I already have enough hobbies.

I contacted our tech central today to be sure. They say do not remove the bolts for the primary flange. This is an out of chassis procedure. Job pays 17.7 hrs to pull the engine, r&r the cam and lifters, pull the heads, and front/rear covers and reinstall. Hope my ass is in high gear for the day.