6.7 with cracked exhaust valves

Rate this topic

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Brad Clayton
They should have pulled a motor off the assembly line and sent it no questions asked.

All current model years got brand new motors in the past, this should be no exception.

I would be ripshit if I got my $60k truck back with a dealer assembled engine with parts that were machined at a local shop. If it was 10 years later I wouldn't mind, but a brand new truck....I don't think so.

I'm with Brad on that, I'd be pissed and wanting to know WTF is going on.

I talked to the local engine plant dyno operator last night and as far as he's heard there hasn't been any failures of that sort on any of the dyno run engines and most have had about 25000 to 30000 miles of run time on them.

+1 You would think the engineers would want to dissect this particular one themselves. Especially if there haven't been any other failures.

Remember, we don't want these engines to never fail. Posted Image

we had an engineer here yesterday, he is taking the effected valves, push rods and rocker arm assy. for the cylinder that has the damage with him and sending to be inspected more closly. we also found another valve that is cracked on the same bank but differ cylinder. The engineer is coming back today also. he was saying that they have 9 trucks total so far with this issue. Thinking that its getting to hot in regen. If so, we are going to be doing a reprogram in the future. Also said that by next week they will/should have it figured out.

Our FSE came in yesterday and I told him that the driver of this truck said it goes into regen every 50 miles. The FSE said that the 6.7 only regen's using one bank not both and the valves on this engine are cracked on both sides.

As I was putting this engine together I found out that the head set also doesn't come with the exhaust manifold gaskets and the only one's we can find are in Detroit and who knows when we will get them.

Another goffy thing with getting parts on this thing is I ordered 8 oring kits for the injectors and each kit comes with one oring, one crush washer, one fuel tube and 8 injector bolts. I have 56 extra injector bolts if anyone needs any. The injector bolts are strech bolts.

One of the trucks that we have had 4 cracked exhaust valves on the oppsite side than the one with the broken valve. we are waiting on exhaust valves now... The engineer said the fuel lines can be reused, they reused them up to 7 times in testing with no issue. Just some more fyi... He also said when they find an answer they will relay to us... i think that he was headed to kansas next from what he was saying

the group of lines from one bank to the other and the injector lines... but the only ones i think we are going to reuse is the group that goes from bank to bank... unless they show up, supposed to be d99...

The engineer said the fuel lines can be reused, they reused them up to 7 times in testing with no issue

I would like ford to put that in the wsm. It would be nice to cut down on the one time use stuff, it will make it easyer to work on

The FSE said that the 6.7 only regen's using one bank not both and the valves on this engine are cracked on both sides.

Maybe they alternate banks?

Originally Posted By: Fordracer
The FSE said that the 6.7 only regen's using one bank not both and the valves on this engine are cracked on both sides.

Maybe they alternate banks?

I'm under the impression they regen the left bank only to prevent coking the EGR system on the right bank. As I tear down my demo engine I'll pay attention to see if there's a visual difference between the two banks.

Posted Image

My FSE said they don't regen on the EGR bank so it can still be used even during regen and that's why they don't have the noticable lack of power during regen like you do on the 6.4.

My FSE said they don't regen on the EGR bank so it can still be used even during regen and that's why they don't have the noticable lack of power during regen like you do on the 6.4.

This is how I understood it also from our instructor at 6.7 training.

heard the same thing here that the fuel lines to the injectors can be reused up to 7 times tech hear had an injector loose the lines were d99 was told to reuse them he did and to all our suprise they did not leak even after doing the hpf test, truck has been gone for a few months have not seen it since

heard the same thing here that the fuel lines to the injectors can be reused up to 7 times tech hear had an injector loose the lines were d99 was told to reuse them he did and to all our suprise they did not leak even after doing the hpf test, truck has been gone for a few months have not seen it since

I get the feeling that you might be able to get away with doing that with a 6.4...... getting an engineer to sign off on the practice would be something different.

Some of you guys that have never worked for an independant shop sometimes miss out on some of the stuff you can "get away with".

The imports have been using these style "crush" fittings on their lines for years....We don't replace the lines on them when we do injectors....That being said, since Posted Image (in their infinite wisdom) says to replace them, and I being flat rate (read "don't want to do it again for free") will replace the line each and every time I remove it!! (except the couple times I've pulled one of the fuel rails in cab to replace a rocker assembly and re-used the supply line from the HPP)

IMO If it crushes once using the proper torque specs, It will crush a couple more times if you loosen it up and use the same torque spec again....

Originally Posted By: iceman
fuel lines to the injectors can be reused up to 7 times tech hear had an injector loose the lines were d99 was told to reuse them he did and to all our suprise they did not leak even after doing the hpf test

I get the feeling that you might be able to get away with doing that with a 6.4...

A couple years ago an engineer and I were tracking a fuel leak into the crankcase on a 6.4. We added dye to the system, then ran the engine looking for the glow. After several minutes of no glow, we decided to crack a line to verify dyed fuel was getting to the injectors. After verification, we retorqued the line. It continued to leak under high pressure.

I would not reuse any of these crush fitting lines unless the cost of failure was very low...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So seems I have one of these in my bay, #6 is the first one to eat itself but all other exhaust valves on that bank have cracks in them....anything new with the root cause of failure? obviously its getting an engine but I would like to know why the valves are up and cracking on a 35k mile engine

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

also was in a hurry when I posted that... here is some more info

built date is october of 2010, engine hours are 982 and idle hours are 312 with 35k miles on the clock. This particular vehicle sees alot of dirt...Air filter is a nasty, oil and fuel has been serviced before but looks like a aftermarket oil filter. Working on getting service history now. I didnt find anything foreign in the intake system however the compressor fins have had contact with something. Looks just like it ingested something. Also the thing hardly spins as the bearing are wiped out too. This vehicle had a turbo put on at another dealer for the very same description 7-8k miles ago. I looked the engine over again as I can just get why the valves are cracking. I found that all the cylinders on the left bank have somewhat of a scoring starting almost like its starting to get dusted. #8 is the worst in this case with a large patch of cross hatch missing. Not the "hotline GO no GO gauge) of finger nail grabbing but its sure as hell not good.

The FSE was out this morning before I even got a hotline request in. I have a feeling this thing is going customer pay and we are going to have one hell of a fight on our hands....