Reparing a burned out truck

Rate this topic

GregH

I've got a 2003 F-250 6.0L that was towed into us after a fire. Seems the fire started behind the dash and burned for a short time before the owner broke out a window and put out the fire.

After the insurance company's fire investigators and I took apart the truck, they determined that the fire was deliberately set by the owner, and refused to pay anything. Part of the evidence used against the vehicle's owner was the fact that there was a broken coolant hose, no coolant in the engine, rotten oil, and the oil filter standpipe was melted. Cranking the engine over sounded like throwing a bag of anvils down a school hallway.

The truck was towed away for a while, then came back with a used engine installed. The owner was paying out of his own pocket to repair the truck.

I installed a provided used dash, a new dash harness, and a new body harness. I also installed a new vehicle security module. No other wiring is damaged, and the only other module that may be suspect is the instrument cluster.

Here are my persistent issues:

1 - The interior lights stay on all the time. Pulling the fuse for it extinguishes the lights, as does disconnecting the IC. The relay for the lights is in the IC. Turning on the switch on the headlamp switch I can hear the relay in the IC click, and the lights brighten slightly. But I cannot get them to go off. I expect that this is a failure in the IC, since it was the one in the fire.

2 - My door ajar PIDS are wonky. The front doors read ajar when they are closed, and read closed when they are open. The rear doors read closed all the time. The VSM is a new one, since the old one was extensively damaged, and the body harness is new - the only harness connected to the VSM. It reaches into all four doors. Checking the circuits at the VSM show a nice solid ground with a light bulb when each door is open, and open circuit when closed - as expected when looking at the EVTM. Power and ground to the module is good. VSM has been configured by IDS. The part number on the module is correct by HVBOM. And the problem remains the same with the IC disconnected. However, to allow communication with the VSM, I have to leave the IC connected until the IDS sees the VSM... Probably looking for a wake-up signal from the IC.

I have suspended further testing until the owner provides an instrument cluster. However, I am not sure that an IC will help out my VSM concerns. Any insights?

Thanks...

Oh let's see, first thing I would suggest is to run. Second, I wouldn't accept anything but cash from this customer and preferably up front.

Seriously, you don't know how the lights operated before the fire, right? This could have been going on to begin with, no? I seem to remember there being a couple of different door ajar switches for 1 year model that were not interchangeable. This caused many problems at one time and gave us and the parts department fits. If this guy is willing to burn down his truck to get out of it, how much is he willing to pay at dealer rate to fix interior lights?

What happened to the good old fashioned parking your vehicle in a bad part of town with the windows down and catching a taxi out of there?

From what I learned from the fire inspectors, if I ever need to get rid of a vehicle I'm sure I can do it right... Why this guy ever put the fire out I'll never know. I'd get a lawn chair and a beer and watch the show!

Learned a few things about how to burn a house down too... but that doesn't belong in the "Body, Chassis and Electrical" forum...

As for the rationale behind the job - I just do what my boss tells me. If this dude flakes and skips the bill, I'll still have been paid. I quoted 30 hours to install the dash, two harnesses, the VSM and evaluate the engine condition. I fulfilled that and have been paid. We're into supplemental estimate mode now, and waiting on his next move with an instrument cluster.

I may be married to this vehicle now, but each hour spent with it is billable...

As for the door ajar switches, they perform as expected when tested at the VSM harness....

As for the door ajar switches, they perform as expected when tested at the VSM harness....

Alrightie, I found them on cell 66-1 Warning Devices. Posted Image Why of why did they split the VSM schematic up into TWO different cells? I am now into my second cup of coffee. Posted Image

"billable"... that's a cute way of saying "counts towards taking possession of the truck for non-payment".

Back in the day, I helped a friend with a 1968 Ranchero he'd bought after it burned up.... never again.

Good luck with that puppy, Greg. You are going to need it.

120 ohms or to taste......classic

I'm wondering if the blender is set to "frappe" or not? I'm pretty sure that the thingis that looks like a drunk wheatstone bridge could be replaced with something a little more simple... like a piece of french toast and a nice cup of hot tea....

I don't own the rights to it, I found it on the 'net. Being the guy posted it on the net he can hardly expect people to not enjoy it and share it. I would not feel you were violating him too terribly if you shared it privately and did not use it commercially. I'm sure by now it's been printed and hanging on a thousand toolboxes and bulletin boards around the world.

I don't know who drew it, but he was very creative....

Posted Image

Edit:

http://xkcd.com/730/

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

This means you're free to copy and share these comics (but not to sell them).

• 7 months later...