Elevated Oil Levels

Rate this topic

I am just curious as to what you guys are finding as the source of fuel dilution of the oil.

Most of the trucks I have come across with full crankcases were damaged, or blown up and testing could not be completed. I have one with the covers off, dye in the filter housing and running it at 24K PSI with no dye showing yet. This truck has about 7K on the last oil change and had at least 25 qts in it. Engine hours are a bit high... depending on what figure you use. It ran a little rough before the oil change and runs well with new oil at the correct level. Cylinder 1 showed -10 on power balance and +8 on fuel trim... not sure that is the cause at all.

Not directly but I agree. I beleive the roughness was caused by the high oil level. I am going to run the engine a little more with the rail pressure ramped up. I need to be sure there are no leaks under the covers. According to the WSM extended oil change intervals, frequent regens, excessive idling can cause high oil levels but 5 or more qts? I don't think so.

The injector is likely going to get replaced due to the fuel trim. The owner stated the truck ran poorly for a bit then cleared up and now runs poorly again. At least I can eliminate it from the scenario.

Seen a few where exhaust restriction causing an overfueling concern, mostly lower in mileage but higher in hours. International came out with a tool to put in line between doc - dpf and then perform a filter cleanliness test.

This corrects the problem till the next time.

I've also seen a hpfp leaking but with dye in the system it will show up although unique to see.

• 11 months later...

i know this one is old, but i was actually searching for an old SSM and came across this.

My experience/findings from past trucks is that this is caused by extensive idling. I've only seen this on boom trucks and or trucks with PTO/PTU's and high idle capability. there is/was a tsb or ssm in regards to the 6.4 "growing oil."

Fords explanation to me over the phone was that in some cases where extensive idle times are involved the trucks go into a high idle to facilitate PTO/PTU usage and as a result go into regen multiple times through the course of the day. My theory takes effect here on out. The lack of air flow across the vents on the exhaust tip creates a bad re-gen and the excess fuel that isn't being pulled into the DOC goes into the crank case. Ford confirms all but my theory about the tail pipe

The last one I had with an overfilled crankcase had an injector line leaking. Customer said that he drove from Texas to Pennsylvania. He pulled over four or five times to drain the oil level so he could get to his next job. I pulled both rocker covers and put dye in the filter housing. Started the truck and could see dripping fuel from the injector line on the drivers side bank. Put on a new line and retested it. Fixed for now. Dont know how much longer it will run factoring in how much dilluted oil was in the crankcase.

you're right aaron. i was reading through several tsb's on various makes and models after a HARD night at the bar and not much sleep. goin back reading through, looks like i lumped them together into one...lol

the way the regen process fell into that is that a by-product of the elevated oil levels is that the DPF can get drenched in oil internally.

That and i was reading a TSB on adding the OCR manual option on 6.7's.