Oil in coolant....

Rate this topic

Thats right, you read it correctly. 51000 KM and the main cooling system is full of oil. Assuming oil cooler(have request into hotline), has anyone seen others like this?

Is this a new 6.7?

Yes it is. Thankfully the oil cooler requires minimal disassembly to remove.

Anyone know of a way to actually leak test an oil cooler to verify it has failed? Kind of like we would do with EGR coolers?

Edit: Came up with a way to test it. Going to drain the cooling system, remove the coolant hoses from the oil cooler, top up the engine oil and run the engine to see if oil comes out where the coolant is supposed to go in.

Will post results.

I beleive there is no direct path between those passages under the turbo. There is a valley between the two that allow the fluid to drain out into the valley.

But i may be wrong

Edit: Confirmed oil cooler leaking. With cooler eliminated from cooling system, I was able to run the engine till oil started coming out of the coolant ports.

Confirmed oil cooler leaking. With cooler eliminated from cooling system, I was able to run the engine till oil started coming out of the coolant ports.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words.

The process has 130 steps. 4 run throughs with simple green. 1 with VC9. Then numourous fresh water flushings. Time will tell if we got it all out. Funny thing is this guy was such a prick about the fact that it took time to get the parts and repair the truck, that he is no longer welcome at our dealership.

The process has 130 steps. 4 run throughs with simple green. 1 with VC9. Then numourous fresh water flushings. Time will tell if we got it all out. Funny thing is this guy was such a prick about the fact that it took time to get the parts and repair the truck, that he is no longer welcome at our dealership.

Sounds miserable. Were you required to replace all the rubber hoses in the system also?