First time a 6.0 has got me pinned to the wall.

Rate this topic

Help guys, I've been working on diesels for Ford since 2000 and this one has me giving up. Its a 2006 F-250. It dies when hot. Its an ICP issue. Once EOT gets to 190 IPR climbs to 87% while ICP goes down to 390 and dies. Obviosly I high pressure leak right? Before I continue, customer has put a oil cooler, high pressure pump, injectors, and all standpipes on his own at home. I started fresh and installed a new IPR valve, High Pressure pump and installing a new oil cooler kit to recheck customers repairs and I also checked and replaced all suspect standpipes. Vehicle still dies when hot on its own! I dont have to shut it off!!! I rapidly air leaked it and found a passenger side oil manifold leaking at a none serviceable fitting(I have never seen that before) replaced manifold=same problem. I heard injector 1 leakind at air leak test=same problem. I replaced the branch tube assembly=same problem. Today I had the valve covers removed and air leaked it again=replaced drivers side oil rail manifold and injector no. 3=same problem. IPR still rises while sitting at idle to 87% and ICP starts going down. Anyone seen this before? Could a PCM be suspect? Thanks for any help.

Well, it looks like most things are new on this system. Did you inspect the injector inlet o-rings? The fact that ICP goes down and the truck DOES stall with the IPR % up tells me you are chasing a leak but at this point I would also verify base oil pressure hot. If you are losing oil pressure there the HPOP system could be getting starved.

Yeah, been down that road. I have found that when the vehicle stalls out after warming up it usually turns out to be the injector tops blowing oil out of them. Even though they have been replaced, it wouldn't hurt to check them again. Take all the bolts out of the valve covers except for a select few that are easy to access and leave the ficm laying loose on the drivers side. Let it warm up and die and then rip the covers off and have a helper crank the motor over and use a mirror to inspect all 8 injectors where the oil rail goes in for oil puking out.

Provided the IPR pid is ramping up to 85% at an alarming rate and ICP VOLTAGE is dropping at an even more alarming rate, then you are still dealing with a massive oil leak that will leave you on the side of the road.

Yeah, I did exactly as you stated Brad with the valve covers with two bolts on each side and ficm just laying on top. I was sure injector no. 4 was puking out with a mirror. So, I didnt chance it and replaced the injector and oil rail manifold and the problem still remains. I will do it again to see if any other injector is failing.

Here is my two cents worth. The last STC fitting update I did (at the customer's request) on a 2006 truck, ended up with a new engine rear cover replacement as well, due to the STC fitting being blown out far enough to do damage to it (I guess that's why this truck was also leaking oil externally from the top-right hand corner of the engine that I had orginally surmised to be an HPOP cover gasket leak). When I had the rear cover removed, I remembered noticing there to be a gallery plug (similar in appearance to an engine frost plug but much smaller) that coincides with the very gallery under the oil cooler screen and into the inlet side of the high pressure oil pump. This gallery plug would not be visible with the HPOP removed from the top unless you were to stick a borescope with a flexible tip down in behind the branch tube and the cam gear. I remembered thinking to myself, MAN OH MAN what would ever happen if this plug were to blow out and how much of a bugger it would be to diagnose. Take it for what it's worth.

I've had the same type of condition you are having before. I would apply power and ground to the ipr and crank the engine and check for leaks. I was only seeing minimal oil leakage around the injector area. Removed the valve covers and ran the engine at operating temp and I had 2 injectors that were just dumping oil out of the coil/solenoid area. Replaced the leaky injectors and life was good.

Removed the valve covers and ran the engine at operating temp and I had 2 injectors that were just dumping oil out of the coil/solenoid area. Replaced the leaky injectors and life was good.

Whereabouts on the injectors were they leaking oil? The top two holes adjacent to where the ball tube enters, or the body of the injectors themselves? I always thought oil exiting those holes would be considered normal.

Well fellas I finally got it! As ridiculous as this sounds it took all eight injectors. Truck is done! I left the valve covers on with two bolts on each side so that i can easily tear it apart after being hot. I air leaked it and injector no. 4 started leaking a lil icp. Repeated test then it jumped to injector 7 leaking icp. Ipr percentage went from 87% to 27%=which is still high for idle. I didnt care to realize how the customer had installed used injectors to his truck=and must have used a T30 tork socket since all injector hold down were rounded at the torx bolt=meaning he didnt torque them down good enough. I put all eight injectors on at the end of the day with two new oil rail manifolds and that fixed it. This was a man made problem so it made it very difficult to diagnose. Thanks for the help guys and i wanted to share what i found. I never believed in having to replace 8 injectors but this time I had too.

I never believed in having to replace 8 injectors but this time I had too.

I had to do that once on a truck that had very poor oil change intervals.