Broken flywheel

Rate this topic

Have a 09 550 no crank found flywheel broken about a inch away from the crank bolts. Engine is able to be turned with rachet.Driver said it started making a noise driving 6o mph. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before. Trying to figure out if it is just a straight flywheel failue or somthing else.

Check for engine/transmission alignment issues. If the trans has ever been out and a dowel pin is missing mis-alignment can cause cracked flexplates. I have seen that several times over the years!

Check for excessive crankshaft end play and torque converter to fluid pump wear/play issues. Either of those can cause the flex plate to over flex under high load conditions and stress the metal until it fatigues and cracks.

The trans guy here just pulled one out today with a broke flywheel and it cut the snout off the converter and puked fluid all over the place. The trans was replaced last month some where else but it still has the dowels in the block. We will have to see how the converter fits in the pump when the new one comes in.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a couple of trucks come back with that issue. The first that we saw did not give a second though to anyone as to why it happened. That is until someone had to put one in for free. In our case it was because the spacer was put on and then pretty much forced into alignment with the flex plate and the bolts. Also the bolts were put on with a half inch impact gun. I think those bolts only take about 80 ft-lbs don't remember of the top of my head . I guess some people think that because you had to use your half inch to take it off you should use it to put it back on. Anyways that could be another possibility if someone recently did a bed plate, short block or something that required tear down . So yeah just putting in my two cents .

• 1 year later...

I've got an '03 Excursion 6.0 liter in my bay now that had a crankshaft and flex-plate put in it 3000 miles ago because the flex-plate was broken due to excessive crankshaft endplay, the flex-plate is broken again....dowels are still in rear cover, I just submitted a hotline contact on it, just wondering....

No signs of torque converter overheating, hotline says to pull the rear cover and make sure the dowels aren't protruding more than 10mm out on the engine side, waiting for advisor/customer, got plenty of other stuff to work on while I wait Posted Image