P0266 on an '08 E450

Rate this topic

At 127K miles this vehicle came in with an intermittent misfire on cylinder #2 when pulling a hill. It's fixed up as a transit bus. Tested and found P0266 in memory, and power balance showed #2 misfire when loading it in the stall. Installed an injector in #2.

Started it up, and it stuttered a few times after it had been idling a few minutes. Road test, retest power balance, and still had an intermittent drop on #2. EEC test showed nothing.

Overlaid harness to #2 and FICM. Reran all test, no problems found. Released vehicle.

It comes back in today, P0266 in memory, intermittent dropping of #2 cylinder on power balance, and a slight popping in the intake manifold. Relative compression shows a slight drop sometimes when testing, and sometimes there is a single crow hop during the 10 second crank.

I'm thinking there is an intermittent loss of compression on #2 causing the issue - likely related to the opening of an exhaust valve because of the slight pop in the intake.

I haven't torn into it yet. Kinda want to speculate as to what I should find before I start searching. Possible camshaft going flat? - should be material on the drain plug, which I haven't removed yet. Maybe a sticking valve? Why would the problem be intermittent?

Any help would be appreciated...

Possibly lifter just on it's way out causing intermittent misfireing. I would take a look at the oilpump to see any evidence of metal just starting to get in there.

Another unit was brought to me today - P0272 in memory. Power balance shows #4 dropping out, and there is that characteristic pop in the intake... 128,000 miles on this one. uh oh..

• 4 months later...

I have one in my bay right now, popping out the intake. Passes the relative compression test with flying colors. No skip at all, pretty good tapping noise when decellerating. Had a code for #4 for cylinder balancing. No metal on the drain plug (where did the metal go??). Pulled the heads found the #4 exhaust lifter flat.

I would pull the valve covers, if you don't see anything with the rockers/springs then it is a sure bet that the cam/lifter is failing.

• 1 month later...