Who Makes the best Tool Box?

Rate this topic

I have outgrown my current toolbox and need to move up to something bigger and better. I was just wondering what kind of experience everybody has had with different brands like Snap-On, Cornwell, Mac, Matco? I have always looked to the Snap-On boxes, but they are extremely expensive compared to the others and I'm not sure if the quality difference justifies the price? Or is it just the name? I know if I were planning to sell it in the future, the resale value would probably be higher with a Snap-On, but I'm planning on buying one big enough and good enough to last me long term. The Mac, Matco, Cornwell premium boxes all seem to have similar construction (my Cornwell guy says they are built by the same people, but that is a salesman talking too) and have very nice drawer latches, drawer slides, casters, heavy gauge construction, locks, etc. Just wondering from some of you that have these boxes what your experience has been and what you would recommend. Thanks.

I have had Mac and Snap-On, and I am a Snap-On guy. My biggest thing is actually having $10k worth of tools to put in a box and not an empty $10,000 dollar box. I worked out of some small Mac and Snap-On boxes and Craftsmen until I ran out of room and was putting tools on my bench for storage. I told Snappy to keep an eye out for a good deal and let me know what he came across in his travels. Well, every week he would show me something or tell me about something but it was always a bit more than I wanted to pay. Finally one day he had a repo and it was a deal to good to pass up. He unloaded it right then and I won't need another box for the rest of my career. The box is a Snap-On KRL-1022 artic frost.

The best deals out there are the ones that can be someone elses misfortune. The box that I ended up with could have been another brand but I got a $6800 box for $2700 and I am partial to Snappys so it worked out good for me.

Snap-on fan here also. Like Brad said I wouldn't buy the box though without the tools to put in it

My main box I'm still paying on but my small (auxiliary) single bay I snagged off of craiglist for $500

The best tech I know works out of a tractor supply box. He just stood there and shook his head when I bought my Classic 96. "Your box doesn't make you money, what's inside does"

That being said I haven't had one issue with either snap-on box I own

"Your box doesn't make you money, what's inside does"

Yeah, there is always some asshole getting philosophical with you. I say go fuck yourself! It's my "office" its my money. Just because someone's advice or opinion is free doesn't mean it's a good value.

A Snap-On box is superior. It also has a superior price tag. One that is NOW out of my reach however last year I was "offered" $10,000 trade in for my box with a customer loyalty spiff on a new $18,000 box. Seriously? That is almost what I paid for it 16 years ago. This tells you how over priced and marked up they are as most things with the Snap-On label are. I like Brad's example, look around and find a deal. They ARE out there.

Like women, a box is a box. You need to find the box you can afford and a box you can live with. Posted Image

The longest I've had a box last was a SnapOn two bay Roller Cab - slightly over 20 years. I currently have a MAC cheapy line (Tech 1000 ?) three bay roller cab and a SnapOn chest purchased used in about '89.It took less than three years to outgrow this mess and about 4 years ago I added a Beach side cab.

Nothing matches... nothing pretends to match and I have outgrown this mess once again. But I am old enough that I like keeping some of my money in MY jeans.

When you purchase a toolbox, look at it's shipping weight. Heavy boxes have more steel in their construction.

Look at the sides of the drawers... can you flex them between fingers and thumb? Look at the roller glides... are they "manly" or do they look like they can't even support your kitchen drawers? Are the wheels robust? Do they feature a grease fitting? Are the brakes real or an apology?

A toolbox is like a pair of boots.... one size doesn't fit all. Organizing your tools in a manner that suits your logic is the most important thing.... Less time spent looking for something means more time actually using it....

this is just my opinion, but if you are looking for something to last you a long time go with a snap-on epiq. they are expensive but worth the money in my opinion. I love my 60" epiq. I have owned a mac and it was not worth anymore than a similar craftsman would have been. It was tech 1000 so not there top of the line but anyway. I have worked with a few guys that have matco boxes and they are not happy with them, they like the price tag though. I have had several boxes and was ok with them. That epiq is awesome and I will never get rid of it. just my two cents

I have had a couple of Snap On boxes. My present one is 11 yrs old, and I was looking at upgrading recently and was offered $800 less on a trade in than what I paid for it. They are very expensive; but you get what you pay for, and they hold their value like no others do. It all comes down to what you want in a box, and how much you are willing to spend. Just my 2 bits !

Thanks for all the advice on that guys. I've been working out of 2 Craftsman top and bottom ball bearing tool boxes, 1 heavy duty Snap-On roll cart, and 1 small Blue Point cart for 15 years--adding on to my mismatched menagerie along the way. I too have tools that don't have a proper organized home. I've always said that I was saving up and waiting for the right deal on a Snap-On box and I agree that they are awesome. Hopefully I can find one of those deals. I've got a Matco and a Cornwell guy who are twisting my arm hard to buy one of their 84" custom premium boxes and they are offering a great deal. They are very comparable boxes with heavy duty casters, drawer slides, drawer locks, the gauge of steel looks hefty, locks are good, and they come in lots of color choices, and I can order the drawers any way I want. It is tempting, but its also a lot of money to spend and I don't want to be sorry later that I didn't wait for the right deal on a Snap-On box to come along. It seems like the consensus here is what I've thought all along--that despite being overpriced, the Snap-On boxes are the king of the hill. Does anyone have one of these newer Matco or Cornwell premium boxes that could offer a review on it? Thanks gentlemen.

I have a SO KRL1003 that I bought used about 10 years ago in new condition. My suggestion is to avoid buying a box on payments from the dealer but rather buy used one from a pawn shop or retiring tech for half the money (or less) of a new one. Make sure the SN tags are there so it's clear and not hot.

I've bought several tens of thousands of dollars of SO tools from used sources and pawn shops over the years, usually at 25-50% of new price. I saw too many of my techs buy too much on credit from the tool trucks and get into jams. I love SO tools, I just don't want to pay for them new when there's plenty of them on the market used.

If you're set on ordering a new box and want to compare them, ask what the shipping weights are on each one. My SO weighs empty what my old box weighed full. Do you have craigspal? Here's a 10K set of SO boxes for $3800 near you.

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/tls/2378639257.html

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Talking about mark up on Snap On boxes. I bought a KRL series box when they first came out 20 some years ago and I out grew it and needed another one. I was on the tool truck last year and he was having a special on tools that he had laid out on top of a KRL1022 box. If you put up to 40% down he would match your down payment as a discount on the tools. I mouthed off and said I'd make the same offer on the box the tools were sitting on and he said okay. So I paid 3,070 down in cash and he discounted the price 3,070.

I've got a Matco 4s triple bay box off a repo. Less than a year old, and just needed to be cleaned. Paid $2000 cash for it, and it's a $5300 box.

I told the Matco and Snapon guys that I wanted to replace my Craftsman double bay top and bottom. I had them looking out for repos and damaged units, and the Matco guy came through first. I don't intend on expanding out of this one, but if I do, then I still have my Craftsman stuff at home.

Im partial to snapon boxes as well. They just always seem to be the cleanest and well put together compared to everyone else. Also hold the highest trade in/resale value. My first double bank I picked up for 800bucks out of a body shop. It was straight and not banged up but it was covered in all kinds of crap you would expect to be on the floor of a body shop. I took it apart and hosed it out, brake cleaned it from top to bottom and tossed a coat of wax on it and was good to go. I used it about 6 years and was out growing it fast. I told my dealer to keep an eye out for deals. I ended up with a KRL 3 bank brand new for 4500bucks. Snapon had an overstock of that particular unit in black only. could not choose options or color but it was pretty much what I wanted so no big deal. I forgot what retail was but it was alot higher then what I paid. They had some cash back deals going on at the time too so I ended up with vouchers for free tools I could have traded in my 800 snap on for like 2k credit but I opted to take it home as once you have a nice tool box you just cant go back. I had my dealer warranty all my slides too so its like brand new again.

Bottom line is be patient and look for deals. Dont ever pay retail on a box

one months payments left on my larger box. I don't know if I should get a top for it or trade both in and move into a larger box. I'm at maximum capacity. Granted there isn't much more I could use as far as tools go

photo0054u.jpg

• 1 month later...