Broke Filter Lids

Rate this topic

I wish I could stop do-it-yourselfers from using the 1/2" portion to take the secondary filter lid off.

Posted Image

So then I end up with something like this in my bay.

Posted Image

Now I got a fight on my hands, but I take the frustration out of it with these simple steps: I use a 4x4 front hub socket and drill out the cap so the lugs can grip it.

Posted Image

There are a few ways to transfer the position of the lugs to the lid, but I just use a sharpie. It doesn't have to be precise and pretty, just need to get it out and round file it. I place the socket on the lid and mark where the lugs are with a silver sharpie.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I take a quick measurement of the lug and use a drill bit just a smidge bigger.

Posted Image

I drill out the 4 positions. I usually don't allow the bit to break thru, but this lid was stubborn and I needed the lugs to protrude as far as possible to bite in. Any shavings that fall thru will sit on top of the filter and are easily retrieved.

Posted Image

I place the socket on the lid and spin it out with a ease.

Posted Image

This one was one of the tightest ones I have run across to date.

Posted Image

I toss the lid and the filter, make sure the housing is clean and install new filter and lid and out the door she goes.

Nice thinking Brad. Of course I feel like a jerk telling you I get them off with a flat chisel and a hammer in a minute or two. Posted Image But I run the risk of damaging the housing.

But this looks great! This is the shiz articles are made of... and like Alton Brown, I like tools that multi-task.

Well, I talked to a few people who have run into this situation and they said the same thing. One guy said the lid was so tight that he ended up chiseling it into 4 pieces kinda like a personal pan pizza and digging it out. I think if I had gone that route, I would have been rip shit near the end. That lid was welded on!

My biggest set of Channel locks does the trick for me. I think the biggest issue with using extensions is most people will use an impact extension which won't get deep enough into the cap. I use a regular 1/2 inch extension with no issues.

They wouldn't have put the recess there if they didn't mean for us to use it.

What I see as a concern is not lubing the O-ring before assembling the filter. Yes, I've seen many broken caps... we stock them.

I remove the cap with whatever I have at hand... be it the 24 mm socket... There's always the chance I've grabbed a 15/16ths... or just stuffed a 1/2 drive extension in the hole.

Sadly, common sense comes into play at some point in the process... And we all know that common sense isn't.....

I usually do use the 1/2" "hole" but after breaking a couple over the years I am careful enough and pay attention enough to know when not to push my luck. You can feel when the extension is starting to spin in the cap and back off before you break it. Then go get a socket...

• 2 months later...

Had the first one today. You know if that caps busted the filter under it cant be in good shape. I Put coolers in a truck and on the test drive it was an absolute slug. Never touched the cap because it was broke so I knew nothing of the condition of the fuel filters.

I used an air chisel and gently worked it loose. The filters were plugged solid, actually the lower was an old style without the o-ring, it was solid black sludge I could scrape off with my nail. Filters fixed it to a good running condition again. It amazes me how people will just drive these things until they hardly run anymore.

I used an air chisel and gently worked it loose. The filters were plugged solid, actually the lower was an old style without the o-ring, it was solid black sludge I could scrape off with my nail. Filters fixed it to a good running condition again. It amazes me how people will just drive these things until they hardly run anymore.

good running condition for now you mean?. Posted Image I would put money on it coming back for injectors after a couple weeks of driving. That had to have some serious miles to look like that and after the owner/jiffy lube busted the shit out of the cap everyone just turned the blind eye.

I left it sit all weekend, went in IDS to reprogram it this morning, key on, hmmmm that's some weird injector cycling.

4 don't click on the self test and 2 were dead on startup for a 10-15 seconds. It'll be back, but who knows how long it'll take