2006 F250 Slow To Take Fuel Into Tank

Rate this topic

ETS

All of my Fed-Ex 2006 F250 4x4's 5.4 Gas, are hard to fill. They take fuel very slowly. I understand there is a TSB for this problem. I have scanned 2006 entries and searched but found no info. They say there is a chamber added above spare tire for air expansion / escape? Can anyone help with this information? Local dealer is not cooperating since fight about my Super Duty head gaskets.

When fuel filler nozzles shut off or fuel slowly fills it's either caused by a restriction in the fill tube or in the venting system including the vent tube on the filler neck. If you have custom bodies be sure the filler hoses are not linked or are routed in such a way that creates a low spot where fuel can pool. I actually came across a few trucks years ago where the fuel filler line drooped and then went up to go over the frame rail.

The TSB Josh posted addresses venting concerns from plugged up fuel vapor canisters that are subjected to high dust/dirt conditions. As always look for spider nests as well!

To verify if the concern is a kinked fill hose or a restricted EVAP vent system... connect the IDS and monitor the FTP PID when filling (or trying to fill ) the tank. If the FTP pressure PID rises when the nozzle trips prematurely, then air cannot escape the tank. If it doesn't rise, then the fuel isn't making it into the tank.

Where we live, Fords "fresh air" kit is waste of time and will soon plug off with mud and/or ice/snow. Instead, we run our own vent hose up into the cavity behind the left tail light.

Watch out... you may have coined a phrase...

The "fresh air" kit has a hose that runs to a box floor support X-member. We regularly see this hollow crossmember filled with "natures own concrete".

Watch out... you may have coined a phrase...

The "fresh air" kit has a hose that runs to a box floor support X-member. We regularly see this hollow crossmember filled with "natures own concrete".

They've updated the fresh air kit, it now runs all the way up into the engine compartment on the left fender.