VCM II

Rate this topic

Check installed programs to see if you have any Samsung wireless manager software and delete it. Go into services and make sure WLAN config is running. Then restart. Should help.

I also have my firewall turned off and run Microsoft security essentials.

Mine is a Windows 7, 64 bit system as well. HP Touchsmart tm2 laptop. More of a netbook though as it has no optical drive.

• 2 weeks later...

How many of you are using VCMII anyway? I am sticking with our old VCMs for as long as they still function. I am tired of being a Beta tester for Ford.

Message popped up in broadcast messages regarding reprogramming 6L issues with VCM II. Advised to use VCM I till the issue is resolved.

Yup - saw that come across at the start of this week. It came a week or so after another tech fried the PCM on a 6.0. Not sure how that situation got resolved but I'm willing to bet it involved the customer purchasing a new module.

That same scenario is what makes me nervous to update my own out-of-warranty 6.4 ...

I was under the impression that the VCM 1 was going to be obsolete after 2014 because when they anounced they were coming out with the VCM II they said support of the VCM 1 was going to cease in 2014. I have two IDS's so I sold one of them on ebay before the public found out about the new one and I bought a VCM II when they finally came out. When I was talking to a guy on the TIS hotline I asked him when they were going to get all the bugs out of the VCM II so I could sell my other VCM before it was obsolete and he said that the support that ends in 2014 is just for repairs and not software and that the VCM 1's will be good for the forseable future and he recomends keeping it until it crashes. I wish I'd known that before and I wouldn't of sold my old one.

• 6 months later...

I am now having some major wireless issues. It will detect the VCM2 wirelessly, but will not communicate. I tried removing the realtek drivers outline in Inford, but they wouldn't re-install with the IDS plugged in. I tried a complete removal of IDS using the CleanIDS software, when I reinstalled it was still set for the VCM2 without doing the quick start, I think I messed up somewhere. It now only works with the cable. Can someone give me some info on a complete wipe of IDS from my computer?

The software I use and like is free, C Cleaner, and works well for cleaning crap off the HD and registry, and it has an uninstaller. My PC geek guy turned me on to it many years ago.

http://www.piriform.com/promo/ccleaner-0...CFRSVMgodHRsAkg

I usually download it here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

I also use malwarebytes for removing malicious shit (not your problem, likely).

Good Luck!

Posted Image

I too use C Cleaner. Managed to get IDS all cleared up and back to normal. Had to do a system restore to get the realtek drivers back in device manager. It will detect the VCM2 but still no communication. The owner is going to get me another d-link dongle. That worked for one of our other VCM2's. Lets hope.

Tried the new dongle in my computer and same thing. Moved it to the VCM2 and it works flawlessly, over 25 minutes in datalogger and no loss of communication. Very odd.

lmorris, did this problem start after installing IDS v84 or any of the 84 updates?

Our IDS laptop was down for a while with a damaged screen. I repaired it and updated IDS before returning to the shop and the wireless is not working. Like you, the IDS recognizes the connection but will not communicate with the VCM II

This problem started maybe shortly after the 84.03 update. It would work for a day or two then next couple of days would not. Then it would be fine. I have Windows update turned off because I was told it can interfere with IDS sometimes. Tuesday is when it went to total crap. Our other tech had same issues two months ago. They got him 2 new d-links from Ford and same issue. We went to the local Memory Express and got them there and they both work fine now. At $20 a piece we will be getting a few more. We have one other VCM2 that never worked wireless right out of the box.

After seeing Ford's success with Sync wireless communications (not), our VCMIIs are all hard wired, and have been working at least as well as our two VCMIs, which will not be retired until they die.Also, I figure if I tie them to the laptop the chances of one or another going missing are cut in half.

Now I have 2 store bought D-Link's and they work great. I can even switch USB ports and it will reconnect in under 10 seconds. Only thing we can think of is Ford is buying low quality N150 dongles. The ones we get are N300.

• 3 months later...

D-links crapped out again. They only work outside the shop. Boss went looking for new ones and nobody keeps them in stock anymore. Seems they lose their integrity over time and the signal becomes weak. Explains why they only work outside, no interference. So it's back to wired until someone invents a better dongle. 

I have had good luck with mine. It's going on 13 months now and it still does the job.

A few weeks back I thought that I had lost it and I found Amazon to be the cheapest option. I found it the day before I went to place the order.