VCM II

Rate this topic

The IDS VCM II launch is targeted for North America in the 1st half of 2012.

IDS software will support both the current VCM and new VCM II devices. The Vehicle Measurement Module (VMM) strategy remains unchanged. The VMM will continue to be supported and functional with the VCM and VCM II.

Integrated Diagnostic System Software (IDS)

The Ford Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) user interface will only be impacted by minimal changes to accommodate the additional VCM II and CFR functionality. IDS will function with VCM II in 1st half of 2012. Some additional screens will be included to identify the VCM and VCM II (devices). IDS software is only compatible with the VCM and VCM II. Other non-Ford J2534 vehicle communication devices are not compatible or supported.

VCM Functionality

The VCM II was developed to have comparable coverage to the VCM. It will include 802.11 Wireless when launched as part of the base price (not a separate item).

All VCM II's will also be upgradeable to operate as a Customer Flight Recorder (CFR) to replace the functionality of the current Vehicle Data Recorder (VDR), which is no longer available. The VCM II has CFR capability with the addition of an optional Pendant cable. The Pendant cable is available at an extra minimal cost. Some of the highlights of the VCM II are:

[*]The VCM II is designed to have comparable vehicle and model year coverage to the current VCM

[*]Enhanced 802.11 wireless that includes USB wireless cards for the VCM II and PC, which removes dependency on service department wireless infrastructure

[*]Contains temperature controlled software to control operation in extreme high and low temperatures

[*]New electronic components for improved operation

[*]Shock resistant rubber boots for a shop environment

Customer Flight Recorder (CFR)

The Customer Flight Recorder (CFR) is the replacement for the existing Vehicle Data Recorder (VDR). All VCM II's are capable of being used as a CFR when the user attaches the Rotunda supplied optional pendant. The VCM II software subscription will be associated with PC / IDS software, as opposed to the current licensing strategy which is linked to the VCM itself. This new licensing strategy means the VCM II - CFR can be used just like the VDR without paying for the traditional VCM based subscription fee.

Vehicle Data Recorder (VDR)The current VDR sales and repair support has been discontinued by Rotunda and Snap-On. This is primarily due to lack of components to produce and repair VDRs. VDR will remain active as a tool selection in the IDS software. Going forward the current VDR will continue to operate on 1996 to 2012 model year vehicles.

Pricing

[*]164-R9805 VCM 899.99

[*]164-R9806 VCM w/CFR Cable 949.99

[*]164-R9809 CFR Cable 149.99

I just saw this today and I said some very profound things out loud as I read it....

I just bought my VCM about a month ago, have not even hooked it up yet. I think Jim called it with the subscription change leading to a possible VCM change. Typical my luck!!! Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I l;ike the fact that it doubles as a CFR. If I ever own one I would not lend it to a customer but road testing and making data recordings will definately be easeier than messing around with a laptop.

????? Tap the space bar on your lap top and "POOF" - a recording happens. (Oddly, there is the odd time where you need to tap the recording icon for the first recording). With the VCM 2 you will need to add the pendant for flight recordings... and you will likely need the laptop to set the VCM2 up as a VDR. Letting a diagnostic interface leave with a customer might seem a bit strange, but the new system seems to "promise" that the device will be useless to a thief.

It would be interesting to learn the expected lifespan of the new device.

FWIW, we have a VDR and the act of installing it in a problem vehicle is usually enough to cure the problem.... Other times all you get is "My buddy kept pushing the button" with no request for further diagnosis. The VDR is my bestest friend.

Just wrapping up Sema/Aapex in Vegas. The Motorcraft guys said the VCM2 is likely to be released in either January or March. The hardware is done, they're polishing the software. They will be "keyed" or registered to a dedicated laptop but that registration will be easily transferred if the laptop blows up. They claim support will continue for the original VCMs through 2014 which makes me happy since I have 2 of them.

Posted Image

:grin:

Any word on how the software switch over will be handled?

Just noticed the IDS software renewal link on INFORD. Says first quarter of 2012. We have a $1091.00 credit to our account also.

I am assuming we download the new software and remove the old.

They better support the original VCM for a while or I will be ramming it up someones ass at rotunda Posted Image

I read somewhere the old VCM is supported to at least 2014.

IIRC, the software will be automatically installed with the Dec. IDS release. It sounds like they've done their homework and there will be a relatively seamless transfer. (I hope!)

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Lets hope so.

The IDS VCM II launch is targeted for North America in the 1st half of 2012.

I'm going to bet that most of us can see where this is going. Like the WDS, the hardware is likely nearing the end of it's usefulness. Gazing into my crystal ball I can see more modules, a more complex system of networks (currently, most new vehicles have a dedicated HS CAN betwixt the RCM and ABS modules) and higher baud rates (so that there wont have to be any dedicated HS CAN networks between any modules).

With the computing power getting a jolt of steroids, I can see modules that can self diagnose more accurately than those we have now (effectively dumbing down the requirements of "general techs").

Sidebar... I still use our SuperStar tester (all too often) but I have two WDSs for sale along with a stack of WDS program CDs.

It seems like only yesterday that I was filing a set of breaker points and putting a dab of cam lube on the rubbing block... never imagining the world we live in (well, except for Popular Science articles).

We just found out that our entire shop needs to be rewired to accommodate the required dedicated Internet connection for each laptop. We currently all share one connection. Fun times are afoot.

• 2 months later...

IIRC, the software will be automatically installed with the Dec. IDS release. It sounds like they've done their homework and there will be a relatively seamless transfer. (I hope!)

Posted Image

just got word from Ford a few days ago that i should see the IDS software soon that handles both VCM's. been trying to get my hands on a VCMII for 2 months now, ill just keep grinding on the IDS department. still have my complete IDS setup from when i first became a tester back in 05. yes from what i was told the IDS software will work with both VCM's. sounds like it will be ready around version79 of the software, which with their release schedule would be about march or april.

We just found out that our entire shop needs to be rewired to accommodate the required dedicated Internet connection for each laptop. We currently all share one connection. Fun times are afoot.

Apparently I was wrong. The wording on using multiple PC's was a little confusing.

• 4 months later...

May 23 2012 VCMII Shipping Update

Shipping of VCM II to Dealers begins on May 23rd. Due to the high volume of orders, shipping of existing orders will continue through mid to late June. More details can be reviewed in this announcement.

Ours showed up today, shop foreman was working on getting them up and running, only one of our laptops was at 79, so he's updating the others. I'll try it out tomorrow Posted Image

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Discovered something. We have been leaving the wireless dongle in the laptop pretty much all day and it gets hot. This seems to be when we start having problems, so we are now removing the dongle when not in use and have had no connection issues. Design flaw perhaps?

Edit: started having issues again, this time I need to start-up the computer with the wireless dongle plugged in to get it work. I have tried to go through the whole "set windows wireless manager as default" thing, but being a windows 7 machine there doesn't seem to be a quick way to do this.

This is an HP laptop that has HP wireless manager installed and running. I have read many forum posts on removing it, but I am a little apprehensive on the whole procedure.

The windows 7 version of wireless manager is there in the services list and is running as well as the HP wireless manager.

Does anyone have any experience in this field that could provide some help?

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my VCM II today and can't for the life of me, get my laptop with IDS up and running, to recgonize a connection when I plug into the USB port. I have tried rebooting it three times with the cable connected and it still won't initialize.

That's a downer Mike .... I gave you my info there on ProTech and it's definitely what worked for me. That being said, prior to trying the plugged in and restart route I did get rid of AVG and any other virus software. Supposedly the protective software is a big no no.

Hope you can sort it out. The day my VCMII came I spent about 5 hours getting the thing up and running. It was not a good day.

What laptop are you running Mike? Check for third party wireless managers. If you have any delete them. Then check to make sure windows wireless manager is running. If you are running a windows 7 machine it is called WLAN autoconfig. Type services in the run bar in the start menu to find it.

It's a Samsung using Windows 7 and 64 bit operating system. I managed to get it to work finally. Now I'm having problems getting it to work wirelessly. Baby steps.