diesel fuel contaminated with def

Rate this topic

what are you guys charging retail time to change the complete system?

I just completed a 6.7L that had water dumped into the fuel tank by vandals. Like water, DEF contamination is treated similarly as far as the repairs required. You will be replacing the entire fuel system and dropping the fuel tank to clean it. Mine was an insurance job and paid about 20 hours. With parts the bill came to about $8900

I had my first 6.7 with gas in it a couple days ago. The guy filled up his truck and went to Home Depot and went back to his shop and then he got to thinking he might of put gas in it and called us and he said it's still running outside. We told him to shut it off and tow it in.

When I get one with gas in the tank I use a diesel fuel hydrometer to see how much diesel is in the gas. Pure gas will not float the bulb and the more diesel that's in the gas the more it floats. If it doesn't float we will put the gas in employees cars. Well this didn't float so it was close to pure gas and it actually ran. I drained the tank, flushed the lines, and replaced the fuel filters. The thing actually started and runs fine.

I saw a guy on a cell phone pumping gasoline into his Chebby with D'max. He was putting nozzle back into pump when I noticed the bazooka tailpipe and knew it was a D'max. I told him and told him not to run it but he got in a drove off. I'm thinking the birth rate is going to fall because some people can't stay off cell phone long enough to do an f'in thing right.

I haven't seen that truck on the side of the road but unfortunately those kind of things happen too rarely.

when it rains it pours! now have another superdoody (2008) with fuel system contamination, removed cab and removed pump to inspect, found pump rusted inside, another retail job, woohoo!

Need to be careful on those. Removing the banjo bolts at the fuel cooler and inspecting them and the lines will show corrosion if water is an issue. Reason being is that once you have the cab off and access the pump only to discover it is no longer a warrantyable repair...

we just finished up a customer pay 6.4 fuel contamination. put 20 in gas on top of roughly 5 gallons of diesel. drove the truck about 150 miles like that, then got the CEL and it died. showed up here running rough. i ran him through all the scenarios and possibilities, got his john hancock and ended up being around 8400 total.

at the same time we had another 08 running rough and dying. manual FP test showed 4000 psi max. secondary housing looked like a silt pond on the bottom. another dealership just put a long block and fuel system in less than 12,000 miles ago. according to the story in the warranty write up there was no evidence of cleaning the fuel tank or flushing the lines after the engine was installed....we fought for the customer as he's a very good guy and a damn hard working contractor, but ford denied CLP, so the customer is going after the last dealership that worked on it....cant say i blame him

• 3 weeks later...

I had my first 6.7 with gas in it a couple days ago. The guy filled up his truck and went to Home Depot and went back to his shop and then he got to thinking he might of put gas in it and called us and he said it's still running outside. We told him to shut it off and tow it in.

When I get one with gas in the tank I use a diesel fuel hydrometer to see how much diesel is in the gas. Pure gas will not float the bulb and the more diesel that's in the gas the more it floats. If it doesn't float we will put the gas in employees cars. Well this didn't float so it was close to pure gas and it actually ran. I drained the tank, flushed the lines, and replaced the fuel filters. The thing actually started and runs fine.

Did you file a CUDL? Terminate fuel system warranty?

This is going to get jammed up someone else's ass at another dealer down the road, I'd bet. Truck starts losing injectors/a pump and nobody can determine the root cause...