Metal Oil Pan For 2012

Rate this topic

Anyone see the new metal lower oil pan for the 2012 6.7L? Gone is the lower composite pan with the quarter turn drain plug. So much for the award winning design. Personally I observed no negative aspects here and I prefer my drain plugs facing down thank you very much! Not to mention Ford put the plug on the right near the oil filter so you can let the pan and the filter drain at the same time.

Not to mention Ford put the plug on the right near the oil filter so you can let the pan and the filter drain at the same time.

oh that would be a beautiful sight!

I wonder if the metal pans will make the plastic ones obsolete

I have no issues with the composite pan.

Though I did have a good laugh when our 60 year old front end guy gave himself a shower with his first 6.7 oil change.....Head to toe..... lol

• 3 weeks later...

Looked up a Pan for a 2012, and they show both the composite and metal pan in the listing.

Composite is BC3Z-6695-A and goes from 02/22/2010 to 11/30/11

Metal is BC3Z-6695-B and is from 11/30/11 on..

Says to use RTV for the gasket on the metal pan?

Wow, Ford is really taking a step backwards. Does this mean we are going to be doing more warranty pan re-seals as these things go up in mileage?

Like it's going to be hard or time consuming? We don't know how the gaskets are going to age either. Haw many 6.0L oil cooler housing to block seals are you replacing lately?

Just sayin...

Yeah, but those ones we can actually MAKE $$$ on, RIGHT? Posted Image

Originally Posted By: MikeA
Wow, Ford is really taking a step backwards. Does this mean we are going to be doing more warranty pan re-seals as these things go up in mileage?

It makes sense to use RTV in this case. To put a rubber gasket in there, they would either have to re-design the upper pan with a groove to accommodate the gasket or use the style they use on tranny pans. RTV is more effective and cheaper. They eliminated the inner nut on the cooler for this very reason. No more need to remove the lower pan.

• 1 month later...

The local power company here has went through 6 composite pans from "off-road" debris in their new 2011 F550 6.7 diesel bucket trucks. Last one, the driver ran it a little too long with no oil in it and seized the engine--so I got to do my first body-on 6.7 longblock. It was not a lot of fun, but at least is was customer pay. They were pissed when they found out the new longblock came with a steel pan instead of the plastic one. They have ordered all steel pans for their trucks and want to retrofit them and then add a skid plate as well. Evidently it only takes a small impact to shatter the bottom out of the composite pans, as opposed to a dent that might be survivable.