EGR issues after Exhaust upgrade?

Rate this topic

Personally, I say none. The EGR system obviously requires flow in order for it to work. Aside the normally occurring pressure created by combustion there have been a few things done to aid EGR flow like VGT strategy, the EGR throttle plate and now in 2005 the scoop in the r/s up pipe. It is my opinion that most if not all of the necessary pressure or back pressure (however you want to look at it) is created by combustion and by the turbo. Anything past the restriction of the turbo would probably be insignificant... but I'm not an engineer! :rolleyes:

I can tell you that I have (at least) three customers with larger exhaust systems from the turbo back and not one has had an EGR related problem that I am aware of. Perhaps someone else here has something to add?!?! (been a little quiet 'round here)

I have just sold a customer a 4" kit and he is telling me that on startup and at idle there is a horrific sound coming from what he assumes is the EGR open. Now once he accelerates the noise goes away and the exhaust sounds much better. I guess I was hoping someone had some experience with this and could shed some light?

Dale, we have done several turbo back 4" installations... a couple with straight pipes no less. Some guys seem to like the sound... I think they all sound like crap. Even through the mufflers the turbo noise is evident. No abnormal EGR problems.... Our winters are cold and we see a LOT of idling trucks.

The 6.0Ls I service that have exhaust systems all sound like jet turbines,especially just off idle.Kind of cool actually.The big question is;Why does he think the EGR has anything to do with it?Seems like the pipe is not secure at the turbo and he is hearing a leak.The turbo-back exhaust will have no effect on the EGR operation and vise-versa. If there was an issue at the manifolds or up-pipe, that would be a different story. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

Dale, we have done several turbo back 4" installations... a couple with straight pipes no less. Some guys seem to like the sound... I think they all sound like crap. Even through the mufflers the turbo noise is evident. No abnormal EGR problems.... Our winters are cold and we see a LOT of idling trucks.

HI a local area boy I sell lots of exhaust on the side and no issues the turbo whistle only happens on some suspect different calibrations as cause but no real issues

That "Jet Engine" sound that you describe is a highly sought after sound here in Florida. It is most noticible on a turbo back exhaust, with no cat, and no muffler. I have sold a ton of these, and this is what all the kid's want, I even like it myself! The sound is different right at start up, then it changes to the jet engine as soon as the EGR open's, if you don't believe it, just unplug the EGR, and crank her up again ;)  Some guy's are pure rabid when the EGR screws up, and does'nt make the sound. :thumbup: