2010 Focus crank seal

Rate this topic

ablokzyl

Customer comes in with a 2010 focus complaining of an oil leak. I find the front crank seal is leaking. So I grab a seal that we had in stock (someone must have ordered it in wrong previously). I removed the balancer only to find that there is no keyway and the balancer has the crank sensor tone ring on it. So I look up how to time the crank pulley to the engine. Get everything moved around and tightend down. Try to start the engine and hear a bunch of ticking noises under the hood during cranking. Little did I realise, but the timing gear also doesnt have a keyway and is held in place by the balancer pulley bolt. I bent all the intake valves! I have never made a mistake like this ever! So just so everyone knows there is no keyway on the crank gear of a 2010 focus!

I believe that design started in 05 when the 2.0 lost the timing belt and got a chain instead. I rememeber vaguely that you had to install the cam holding tool and timing peg. Then position the pulley with the hole at the bottom so you could thread a bolt through that would line up with a hole in the timing cover.

I understand that I should have read the manual. It was supposed to be just a crank seal. Should have been pretty self explanatory. I will definatly check the manual before I pull my next crank pully

Unless I have done the labour op before, I check the WSM. New stuff is happening all the time - some of it we get a sneak preview with NMTs and other web based efforts.

For an eye opener, read section 204-04 of the 2011 F350 shop manual "WHEELS AND TIRES/REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION". This is only the tip of the iceberg. FWIW, I can look my customer in the eye and state unequivocally that his vehicle was repaired in accordance with recommended factory procedure. CYA just seems important in todays "climate".

There is a not so old saw that goes "IF THE SOLUTION APPEARS SIMPLE, IT IS OBVIOUS THAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM". That's a bit of an overstatement, but I still think it bears relevance.

Back in the '80s, I opined that the tech of the future wasn't going to possess much innate knowledge ( the point gap 0.017" will give about 32 degrees of dwell on a V8 kind of knowledge) about what he was working on... rather he would know where to quickly find the information he needed to fulfill his task.

It would be like dropping the fuel tank only to discover an access panel under the back seat....

Granted, one traditionally expects a crankshaft keyway, but we have seen the automobile evolve from what was - to what"is". All of Fords "old technology" motors - the FE, the 335, the Y block, the Cleveland, 351M/400, even the venerable Flathead V8.... These all had headbolts that threaded into the block deck. Modern Ford engines have head bolts threading into the main bearing web area.

Food for thought... no matter how simple or mundane a task might appear, the few minutes spent checking OASIS or the WSM might save you hours of anguish.

FWIW, I've been doing this shit for over 40 years.... I still haven't seen all the surprises they have for me.

It would be like dropping the fuel tank only to discover an access panel under the back seat....

Sumbitch I HATE it when that happens. But you`re bound to stink the whole insides of the car up with gas fumes anyways, so maybe it was for the better, right Posted Image

Sayin that helps me feel better.