2003 vt365

Rate this topic

Rickster42

looked at a good buddys ih4200 with a vt365 for a couple of mins today. He has a very well equipped shop - so when he said he had scanner i didn`t think genysis(ugh). Anyways very hard start cold but will start and run for 5mins with a small helping of ether. Stalls after 5min - no restart. genisys shows #1 & #2 low circuit codes in memory. Cleared them and after start/stall reads code 21 & 22 in memory.Any advice/problem areas - or should i just get him to wait so i can scan with service maxx?

thanks in advance.

Start with FP and quality on a hard start/NS, ALWAYS. It has a gear driven FP/PS pump at the lower right of the engine with a sediment bowl that is frequently overlooked. There's a Schrader on the FF housing to check pressure. Make sure cranking RPM is 150 or more.

Even Genisys (yech) should do a buzz test to see if the injector spools are sticking. No scan tool (even SM) gives MPWR but you can backprobe the injector to see the voltage, treat it like it's a 6.0. They do have FICM (they call them IDM) problems but not quite as common as a 6.0 (maybe 'cause you can't read MPWR).

GPs are relay fed and the relays fail but won't set codes, so use an amp clamp to verify GP amperage (IIRC 175ish initially). LOSE THE F'ING ether if you'd like the engine to last! Backprobe the ICP return wire or watch ICPV in scan to see what's going on with the HP system, a Fluke can give you duty cycle (%) of the IPR if you're concerned there. If I were working on it I'd verify every item in scan with a backprobe 'cause I've been burned so many times by aftermarket scan tools.

The 40a fuse in the battery box which feeds the ECM is a prime problem, remove it and inspect for melting/deterioration, also follow this feed all the way up front.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Don't waste your time with service maxx on any DLCII ecm's. It sounds like you have a stiction issue, but a few things need to be checked first. Check for a 525 or 534 code. Either one of those would indicate a melted idm fuse or a failing idm causing low voltage to the injectors. You engine light would be on with these faults. Remove the egr valve and be sure it is closed and not stuck open. Do the injectors buzz/cycle when the key is turned on when the engine is cold? Perform the test that Bruce recommend - glow plugs and fuel pressure. Once the engine is running, immediately run the auto run injector disable test with master diagnostics 3 times. Which ever injectors fail the test every time are the ones that need to be replaced.

Service maxx with DLC will show an inactive code as an active code. How do you know what to diag?? It also can take an entire road test before any/all the fault codes are displayed. I have had engines with engine lights on with active codes and service maxx did not display the actual active fault (I plugged in with master diagnostics as the fault codes I had in service maxx would not put an engine light on) I have spent many hours on the phone with their engineers, they have taken many screen shots of these issues. The engines effected by these issues are no longer in production so it is not a priority for them.

I just bought a new toughbook last week - still had MD loaded in it. I know it is no longer an option on the dealer list as far as selling to a customer.

We're not allowed to service MD without being a selling dealer I'm told

You are aloud to service ANYTHING your customer is willing to pay you to service!

Now when it comes to warranty work, your statement would be correct. Posted Image

I actually like those trucks a lot. My only gripe is the lack of leg room around the engine compartment. I think they could have worked on that a bit more. That and the shitty 40 gallon aft-axle steel fuel tanks that rust up. As I recall the cabs are actually built by Mazda.

The F650/F750 trucks are also good trucks over all in my opinion and always have been. When my company was owned by Warnock we sold some medium duty trucks to a lot of our light duty customers who needed more tuck. All were equipped with CAT engines so I saw very few Cummins or Power Stroke equipped versions. But in the last 3 years we were not selling them. Now, our new owners the Bayer's who are "The Truck People" we are getting back into the medium duty truck business. Me and my partner are scheduled for some intense training through Cummins to get us up to speed.

I am excited to see the new ALL FORD Medium Duty trucks coming out for 2013.

I hear that GM is getting out of that segment? If so, things could get interesting if the new trucks are actually something to get excited about.

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning
I hear that GM is getting out of that segment?

I'm pretty sure they've been out for almost 2 years now....

Yep, We have a Chevy dealer that use to be a MD dealer, now we get all their MD business since the MD Chevy's are actually Isuzu's and we're an Isuzu dealer Posted Image

I actually like those trucks a lot. My only gripe is the lack of leg room around the engine compartment. I think they could have worked on that a bit more. That and the shitty 40 gallon aft-axle steel fuel tanks that rust up. As I recall the cabs are actually built by Mazda.

The F650/F750 trucks are also good trucks over all in my opinion and always have been. When my company was owned by Warnock we sold some medium duty trucks to a lot of our light duty customers who needed more tuck. All were equipped with CAT engines so I saw very few Cummins or Power Stroke equipped versions. But in the last 3 years we were not selling them. Now, our new owners the Bayer's who are "The Truck People" we are getting back into the medium duty truck business. Me and my partner are scheduled for some intense training through Cummins to get us up to speed.

I am excited to see the new ALL FORD Medium Duty trucks coming out for 2013.

I hear that GM is getting out of that segment? If so, things could get interesting if the new trucks are actually something to get excited about.

Have fun with that Keith! The Cummins Virtual College is fun....envision taking all your Ford Web based classes again Posted Image Oh, I'm doing it right now so that we have two Cummins certified guys (our shop foreman, and me)

Oh, and by the way, Cummins warranty doesn't pay anything!! You thought Ford was getting bad?! Posted Image