03 man. engine and 03 auto engine differences?

Rate this topic

Loking for info on this. 2003 6.0 man. trans customer wants a salvage yard engine(cracked injector melted piston, broken tip of glow plug broke vale and wreaked the seat)

Parts worked with junk yard and stating that 03 with man. trans. is different than 03 with auto. Haviing hard time finding 03 with man. I can see the adaptor spacer on the back is different. Has anyone delt with somthing like this before. Do you know if it is just a matter of transfering parts? Getting a lot of "they say it will/will not work" comments. Of course "they" are not the ones doing the work. As always thanks for the feed back.

Yes, the engine rear cover is completely different between the manual and automatic engines. Transferring the rear cover is no big deal really, but also mandates the installation of a new rear main seal in the process. To do it PROPERLY also requires removal of the HPOP cover, but I'm sure you knew that too. The pilot bearing is in the flywheel, NOT the crankshaft, so no worries there. Speaking of which, if this truck has that garbage dual mass flywheel, NOW is the time for a clutch job and conversion to the better, more durable solid mass unit. If you need a list of part numbers, look for my post in the PARTS forums. Good luck and have fun.

I know someone who that just did that exact swap with no problems as I helped him on details and remember seeing the flywheel stuff all laying there from the extra engine. I don't remember if he swapped rear castings or what, but he did get it done. I'm going to Chicago tomorrow but I could contact him Monday. Call me tomorrow if it's critical.

440-846-3885

Junkyard interchange shows a bunch of 6.0 engines for 2003:

6.0L (VIN P, 8th digit, diesel), ID DG-041-AB (MT)

6.0L (VIN P, 8th digit, diesel), ID DG-041-BA (MT)

6.0L (VIN P, 8th digit, diesel), ID DG-042-AB thru AD (AT)

6.0L (VIN P, 8th digit, diesel), ID DG-042-AE, AF & AG

6.0L (VIN P, 8th digit, diesel), ID WG-041-AB (MT, low emis)

6.0L (VIN P, 8th digit, diesel), ID WG-041-DB (MT, low emis)

6.0L (VIN P, 8th digit, diesel), ID WG-042-AB (AT, low emis)

6.0L (VIN P, 8th digit, diesel), ID WG-042-EE (AT, low emis)

6.0L (VIN P, 8th digit, diesel), ID WG-042-EG (AT, low emis)

6.0L (VIN P, 8th digit, diesel), ID WG-042-EJ (AT, low emis)

Been there before, Swap the rear engine cover and you'll be good to go! And like Mike said, you'll need to replace the rear main, and should re-seal the hpop. I might also recommend to the customer resealing the rest of the used engine while it is out of the chassis Posted Image

Thanks for the info. I passed it along to parts and the customer. Well what do you think rolls in the door today. A 2004 late build with the ICP in the right front valve cover. So will this thing work? From everthing I know , I say NO. What do you guys think?

If I were doing the job, I would INSIST on having a 2003 engine, or I wouldn't do the job PERIOD. It MAY, or it MAY NOT work. Just the mere probability of the MAY NOT factor is enough reason for me to refuse to do it.

I had an 05 with an 03 engine roll through before, you could see someone extended the ICP wires to the back but that was it. ran fine, especially after we drained the gas out of the tank.

You'd want to swap the dummy throttle body over but the benefit of an 04 engine is no crossover in the back of the intake. The pump is still the same swash plate design, IPR is the same design also.

• 2 weeks later...