Jumping Back Into The Fire

Rate this topic

ETS

I ran into the service manager of our local dealer last week. He wants me to talk to owner about taking an opening tech. position. There are 2 leaving for different reasons. Good place to work from what I hear. Highest paying shop in the area. Unlimited training all expences paid. General line and Diesel also. Have been doing bussiness with them for years. Seems like low stress level, Clean, Well organized.

Just not sure about going back after 20+ years and hearing some of the horror stories here. Are you all making a decent living in dealerships nowdays? I am 50+ years old. Certified Master with L1. No Ford schools on record anymore. Things have changed a lot since VV carbs and EEC 1&2. Not sure I want to put up with the political bullshit that was common in Dealers years ago.

Opinions, WELCOME AND APPRICIATED!

If your happy where your at, then you won't be happy back in the dealer environment. Things have gotten very strict with Ford and actually staying in your bay and repairing a vehicle is almost a thing of the past. Lots o paperwork, taking pictures and waiting for approvals and so on.

I am making a living and putting food on the table, but it's stressful and way more complicated than I care for.

If you are looking for a challenge then go for it.

No way I would ever make it back to a dealer if I managed to get out and still do what I want to do. The lure of great money is always tempting and that's why I'm where I'm at but that's all there is, money. Stress and aggravation nearly win over everyday but then it's time to leave anyways.

I have only been out for about 6months but wouldn't dream of going back!I made good money doing it but talk about a stressful pain in the ass. You had to be on your toes and know the warranty system inside and out to make hours. I ate my fair share of repairs due to politics and warranty bs. I would gladly eat my own mistakes but when it came down to something that had nothing to do with my craftsmanship it get under my skin. The politics, drama queens and watching hack ball techs get fed pushed me to find something better. Funny thing is the experience and learning I earned with my dealership experience paved the way to my current job so I can not really regret one minute of it.

Someone once told me "Employers don't realize your worth until someone else wants you."

This may be a good opportunity to show your current employer your worth.

I am basically happy where I am at, Except for lack of Training. Shop Manuals and Labor Guides of any kind are basically non-existent here. Owner refuses to purchase them. Or even pay 1/2 for any training [which I offered to pay the other]. The manuals I do have were purchased by me. Most all of my fleet are 2006 Super Dutys and 2004 GMC 2500HD. It is nearly impossible to do diagnostics anymore without referance materials. Tired of bugging friends for diagrams and losing my ass on electrical diags. Posted Image

i understand and see where everyone is coming from i am strongly considering paintless dent repair i live in a hail prone state and i heard the money is damn good

I am basically happy where I am at, Except for lack of Training. Shop Manuals and Labor Guides of any kind are basically non-existent here. Owner refuses to purchase them. Or even pay 1/2 for any training [which I offered to pay the other]. The manuals I do have were purchased by me. diags. Posted Image

That is absolutely inexcusable from your employer and I'm surprised you have stayed there....

Posted Image

I am quite happy where I work (again). As much as I blab about wanting to leave Ford, I don't think it will ever happen. I like the money. I have fun doing the job. I like the freedom and relaxed environment most of all.

Originally Posted By: ETS
I am basically happy where I am at, Except for lack of Training. Shop Manuals and Labor Guides of any kind are basically non-existent here. Owner refuses to purchase them. Or even pay 1/2 for any training [which I offered to pay the other]. The manuals I do have were purchased by me. diags. Posted Image

That is absolutely inexcusable from your employer and I'm surprised you have stayed there....

Posted Image

Plus 1 on that. You could be a dick and start telling your boss you just can't fix them anymore. Make a statement. If they need the trucks fixed that bad they will come around. You just have to decide if you want to stick it out till he does. It might just be worth going to the dealership. IMHO I like where I work. I have worked for this Employer at 2 different dealerships, for the last 15 years, he treats his employees right.

I am basically happy where I am at, Except for lack of Training. Shop Manuals and Labor Guides of any kind are basically non-existent here. Owner refuses to purchase them. Or even pay 1/2 for any training [which I offered to pay the other]. The manuals I do have were purchased by me. Most all of my fleet are 2006 Super Dutys and 2004 GMC 2500HD. It is nearly impossible to do diagnostics anymore without referance materials. Tired of bugging friends for diagrams and losing my ass on electrical diags. Posted Image

As you know you can not be efficient in your job with support like that. I have about 160 vehicles in my fleet which are kinda mixed bag. However a majority of them are fords and any new vehicle bought will be ford. One of my requirements I had was we needed to get the support needed to repair as much as possible in house. My employer recognizes the benefit in supporting me in what I need to do my job and making the right choice for he company to keep stuff on the road. The past few months I have setup all the training/fleet ford subscriptions and even got a P&A code set up for in house warranty. I can pretty much see and do whatever a dealership can with a few exceptions. This is the only way too fly and be able to repair your fleet efficiently and effectively.