IDI Engines & Air

Rate this topic

I was helping someone on another site and dug through some of my files and came up with a long lost TSB for diagnosing fuel suystem air leaks that cause hard starting on the 6.9L and 7.3L IDI engines. I thought it might be good to make a post for the bebefit of the younger techs and those of us who have forgotten these older engines... should we ever encounter one. Apparently there are a lot of these still rolling around.

tsb92-10-09.pdf 

There are some around I had two this week!

One for long crank...(this tsb would have helped thanks) Guy had put new lift pump and new injectors,caps and lines still a long crank.. I put a fuel check valve in between the lift pump and the fuel filter housing that seems to have fixed it.

other is no start...working on right now have fuel press. at filter and supply to injection pump ok. nothing at injectors.. Power to energize to run solenoid good..Looks like it needs a injection pump.

• 1 year later...

I had an IDI ambulance 9 years ago that I was pulling my hair out over. Apparently I had a rash of bad injector pumps because they were sitting on the shelf for so long. I ended up putting three injector pumps on it until I got a good one. Even back then it was impossible to find anyone on hotline that knew anything about the IDI system.

Also, the fuel pickups rust out and suck air into the system.