Y pipe 2005 F350

Rate this topic

I have done a few of these in the past, but what is the general consensus of replaing the left hand exhaust pipe "y pipe" or "adapter" as ford calls it? Just wondering if I can shave a little bit of time. I have been pulling the turbo is this the way to do it? Got one with a cracked bellows just above the right hand pipe.

In my experience if I did not "cover my ass" and replace both of them at the same time it would tend to bite me in the ass later.

On top of that I would find the "adapter" to be bent or tweaked from past repairs when people would get a little carried away with their pry bar removing the turbo

If the truck is a regular cab or extended cab you can remove all but the rear body mount bolts/nuts and tilt the cab enough to slide the pipes out from behind to turbo. You may have to remove the FICM as well, but not sure, it's been awhile. Loosen stuff as necessary to tilt safely. I would also change both pipes at this point as it is mostly the right side that fails.

When you guys say "right side pipe", do you mean the EGR cooler and exhaust manifold up-pipe (which to me is the PASSENGER side), or the actual Y-pipe (which to me would be the DRIVER side)?

Originally Posted By: AlexBruene
Aren't we all able to remove a turbo in well under half an hour by now?

you mean remove and install in under half hour...right?! Posted Image

I once changed a complete y-pipe assembly in 45mins, mid summer with 110* ambeint temp after the customer drove about a 1hr to get to the shop. I was not very happy with that event hence the 45min repair time. That turbo and y-pipe where not cold to say the least!

Originally Posted By: AlexBruene
Aren't we all able to remove a turbo in well under half an hour by now?

you mean remove and install in under half hour...right?! Posted Image

Posted Image

I lay a fan up facing the turbo and it only takes about a half hour to get it cool enough to pull. Engine parts are different though. I've grabbed many oil rails with a rag before because they're still way too hot by the time I get to them.

Don't you love laying up there sweating all over the engine?

Don't you love laying up there sweating all over the engine?

I remember one occasion where our previous coffee truck truck driver came in with a dead cylinder #8 injector. He couldn't leave it, to cool for me, so I ended up laying one of those used placards on top of the engine (since he had driven it to China and back before bringing it to me), to lay on top of, while I changed out his injector. So yeah, Matt I can relate very well to having the oil rail too hot to touch. Even with the placard on the engine, my back was completely drenched in sweat by the time I finished.

Too bad he got out of the business when his cylinder heads finally lifted off the block shortly after. Posted Image

The best is when the customer thinks its funny to stand there and watch you working on his hot engine while making smart ass comments on how he shouldn't have to wait around for his engine to cool so I can work on it. After having him tell me I was a !?@#%! for wanting to let it cool a bit to do a injector I called up the service manager to remove the guy Posted Image

Waiter or not I'm not gonna burn myself up working on something that is too hot. I always tell the advisor or manager it has too cool off a bit before I touch it. Unless it's something quick and easy. Oh and customers aren't allowed in my stall. I don't work in front of customers. I tell the advisors they aren't allowed to come into my stall. Most understand but some get their feelings hurt.

Awwwwww c'mon guys. You mean to tell me you'll all be dickheads and tell the customers to leave their trucks if you get a 2003 truck needing an ICP sensor after they've just driven it for two hours on a hot 95*F day??? You mean to tell me you won't let them wait for it to be changed out? You guys are mean.